Building Social and Emotional Skills in Afterschool
Posted by Afterschool Alliance on June 4, 2018
Expert Perspectives: Building Social and Emotional Skills in Afterschool
Wednesday, June 6 at 1 p.m. ET
Those of us in the out-of-school time field have long known that afterschool and summer programs can have a huge impact on youth through the development of social and emotional skills, even if we haven’t always called them by that name. Emerging research continues to support the idea that afterschool programs can have significant benefits to children through the development of skills and behaviors like empathy, respect, conflict resolution, and managing emotions.
In this webinar, which we are co-hosting with the National AfterSchool Association, we will be diving deep into what the research says around SEL in OST programs with Stephanie Jones, professor of education at the Harvard Graduate School of Education and co-author of three reports, funded by the Wallace Foundation, that discuss the value of SEL in afterschool and identify straightforward, cost-effective strategies for improving SEL in any program.
The webinar will feature introductions from Heidi Ham of the National AfterSchool Association and Bela Spooner of the National League of Cities, as well as presentations by Bridget Laird, CEO of WINGS for Kids, and Heather Pressley, Senior Vice President for Mission Advancement with Girls on the Run International. Join us for a great discussion of how and why afterschool programs around the country are doubling down on the importance of SEL.
- Heidi Ham, Vice President of Programs and Strategy, National AfterSchool Association
- Bela Spooner, Manager, Expanded Learning, Institute for Youth, Education, and Families, National League of Cities
- Stephanie Jones, Professor of Education, Harvard Graduate School of Education
- Bridget Laird, CEO, WINGS for Kids
- Heather Pressley, Senior Vice President for Mission Advancement, Girls on the Run International
- Dan Gilbert, Project Manager, Afterschool Alliance (Moderator)
More in "Miscellaneous"
- Webinar: AmeriCorps NCCC: A to Z – Aug 16
- New opportunity: Celebrating Public Service on Campus
- RFI: Using City Assets to Advance Digital Equity – Sep 30
Stay Current in Philly's Higher Education and Nonprofit Sector
We compile a weekly email with local events, resources, national conferences, calls for proposals, grant, volunteer and job opportunities in the higher education and nonprofit sectors.