Associate, Performance Frameworks
Posted by School District of Philadelphia on August 22, 2016
The mission of the District Performance Office (DPO) is to provide timely, relevant and actionable information on the state of our students, our schools and the wide spectrum of central office services aimed to promote student outcomes. True to the spirit of collective accountability and continuous improvement, the DPO aims to establish a consistent and systematic way to assess progress against performance targets aligned to the Superintendent’s Action Plan 3.0. We achieve this mission by creating a suite of performance management tools including but not limited to: School Progress Reports, Management Dashboards, Web Applications and Tools, Custom Reports and Analyses.
The Associate role manages and analyzes data from varied sources to produce District and school-level performance metrics and better understand trends in District, school, and student performance to support the production of performance frameworks that facilitate system-wide decision-making. Assists with the development and dissemination of oral, written, and visual summaries of key findings and the provision of analytic support to promote the understanding and appropriate use of data. Produces federal, state, and locally-mandated reports and creating data sets for internal and external partners and audiences.
- Develops business rules for and calculates performance metrics, including decisions regarding sample determination, school/subgroup attribution, and calculation methodology.
- Manages the documentation of business rules for District-held data.
- Assembles, cleans, manages, and analyzes large longitudinal data sets containing District, school, and student-level data (e.g., PSSA, Keystone Exams, DRA, ACCESS, NOCTI, SAT, ACT, AP, IB).
- Manages the receipt of data sets from external agencies (e.g., Data Recognition Corporation, College Board, National Student Clearinghouse).
- Assists with the development and implementation of performance dashboards
- Assists with the production of federal, state, and locally-mandated reports.
- Creates data sets for internal and external partners and audiences as necessary.
- Fulfills internal and external data requests as necessary.
- Develops oral, written, and visual summaries of data analysis.
- Provides analytic support to various audiences to promote understanding and appropriate use, interpretation, and application of data.
- Supports and assists interns and Enterprise Data Analysts with aforementioned functions as needed.
- Assigns tasks to interns and Enterprise Data Analysts.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university in computer science, mathematics, statistics, public policy, information systems or a related field.
- Three years of full-time, paid, professional experience, two of which have included working with large longitudinal data sets.
- Master’s degree from an accredited college or university in in computer science, mathematics, statistics, public policy, information systems or a related field. One year of full-time, paid, professional experience which has included working with large longitudinal data sets.
- Any equivalent combination of training and experience determined to by acceptable by the Office of Talent in collaboration with the District Performance Office.
- All work experience related to the position must be included on the resume.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
Demonstrated knowledge of:
- statistical software packages, such as SPSS, Stata, R, and/or SAS required.
- merging disparate data sources to create new data sets.
- how to identify and resolve data anomalies or discrepancies, particularly across multiple data sets and within large data sets.
- best practices in data management, including extraction, storage, documentation and database design.
- data warehouse practices.
- national, state, and/or local K-12 education data and calculation methodology.
- descriptive and inferential statistics required.
- SQL and relational database applications preferred.
Demonstrated ability to:
- manage and analyze large longitudinal data sets.
- work cross-functionally to ensure that all District-held data are accurate, complete, understandable, and accessible to relevant stakeholder groups.
- research, evaluate, and recommend changes to systems and processes related to the collection, reporting, and dissemination of data.
- communicate key analytical findings to multiple audiences (including non-technical audiences) in oral, written, and visual form.
- train District staff and external audiences on the appropriate use, interpretation, and application of data systems and tools.
- communicate effectively, both orally and in writing.
- establish and maintain effective working relationships.
- Vaccine Equity Project Manager (Consultant/Contractor), AFAHO – Jan 28
- Programs Assistant (Full-Time), AFAHO – Jan 31
- Staff Representative, AFT PA – Jan 26
Stay Current in Philly's Higher Education and Nonprofit Sector
We compile a weekly email with local events, resources, national conferences, calls for proposals, grant, volunteer and job opportunities in the higher education and nonprofit sectors.