Associate Director, Community-Based Learning, Drexel University’s Lindy Center for Civic Engagement
Posted by Drexel University on November 27, 2018
The Lindy Center for Civic Engagement advances Drexel University’s commitment to civic engagement through both academic and co-curricular pathways. Community-based learning (CBL) is a form of experiential learning that utilizes an intentional pedagogical approach to integrate academic learning with community engagement. The work is founded on reciprocal partnerships among faculty, students, and community organizations. The goal of CBL is to provide dynamic learning experiences for students that aim to address real world problems that lead to positive social change. At Drexel, we intentionally use the term “community-based learning” (as opposed to “service-learning”) because it is a broader and more inclusive term that highlights our commitment to working with community and not in service to community. CBL provides opportunities for both students and faculty to develop strong connections between the classroom and community. CBL opportunities include CIVC101: Introduction to Civic Engagement, as well as other course pedagogies in the Drexel CBL framework.
The Associate Director for Community-Based Learning will report to the Executive Director, and will supervise two Program Assistants. The Associate Director will assist faculty with the development, implementation, and assessment of CBL courses throughout the curriculum. They will play an active role in helping to facilitate faculty connection and collaboration with the broader University-Community Partnerships team. The Associate Director will oversee and participate in a team of individuals responsible for executing CIVC101, the First-year Civic Engagement course at Drexel. Finally, the Associate Director will serve as a key member of the Lindy Center’s staff and provide support to the Executive Director to identify and implement consistent operational processes.
- Master’s degree required, doctoral degree preferred.
- A minimum of 5 years of progressive experience in higher education and community engagement required.
- Experience managing staff with diverse levels of experience.
- Academic course development and assessment experience required.
- Track record of supporting faculty development in the community engagement space.
- Strong leadership, scheduling, and organizational skills
- Strong ability to pay close attention to details and logistics.
- Experience with the non-profit sector, and working with college-age adults.
- Experience working with database software and advanced knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite, including advanced expertise in Excel.
- Comfort working both independently and as part of a team, with various stakeholders including faculty, students, staff and community partners.
For more information and to apply, visit: www.drexeljobs.com/applicants/Central?quickFind=84007
- Campus Compact Student Design Fellowship – Oct 27
- Special Projects Manager (Remote), Campus Compact
- Student Engagement Coordinator (Remote), Campus Compact
Stay Current in Philly's Higher Education and Nonprofit Sector
We compile a weekly email with local events, resources, national conferences, calls for proposals, grant, volunteer and job opportunities in the higher education and nonprofit sectors.