Assistant Director: Information Technology Apprenticeship
Posted by School District of Philadelphia on January 7, 2020
Assists with the development and coordination of programs and activities for the Urban Technology Project, one of the nation’s longest continuously operating Information Technology Apprenticeship. Leads the implementation and operation of the District’s Information Technology Apprenticeship and Pre-Apprenticeship program including but not limited to training and development, technical certification, mentoring, grant reporting, AmeriCorps service and managing staff development. Coordinates partnerships with schools, local universities, businesses and community organizations to facilitate the success of pre-apprenticeship, apprenticeship, technology support and workforce development.
- Oversees the activities of staff and approximately sixty apprentices and pre-apprentices; participates in the coordination, planning and implementation of the District’s Information Technology Apprenticeship and Pre-Apprenticeship program.
- Participates in developing and implementing a timetable to achieve short and long-term goals; aids in ensuring that young adults receive the necessary training and development of skills to become successful IT professionals.
- Maintains frequent, ongoing communication with program personnel, apprentices and school sites; analyzes programmatic outcomes.
- Researches, applies for and manages grants to fund the Apprenticeship and Pre-Apprenticeship program.
- Assists with the establishment and implementation of procedures that will ensure program compliance with governmental mandates.
- In collaboration with District leadership, develops and cultivates partnerships with universities and businesses interested in supporting the Apprenticeship and Pre-Apprenticeship program; promotes the goals and mission of the District’s Information Technology Apprenticeship and Pre- Apprenticeship program.
- Assists with managing the project budget; assists with the preparation of annual budget estimates; conducts audits and maintains reporting and budgets as dictated by programmatic requirements.
- Conducts and coordinates staff development and ensures that training provides additional knowledge of innovations in the field that enhance the achievement of programmatic goals.
- Attends special events to connect pre-apprentices and apprentices to IT career and education opportunities.
- Bachelor’s degree from at an accredited college or university.
- Five years of full-time, paid, professional experience in apprenticeship, work-based learning or a related field which has involved working in an educational setting, non-profit organization or governmental agency and has included working with community or corporate partners to support apprenticeship or work-based learning, at least two of which shall have been in an administrative or supervisory capacity.
- All work experience related to the position must be included on the resume.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
Demonstrated knowledge of:
- the current methods and techniques utilized in effective program planning, design and development of training programs.
- CompTIA A+, Network+ and Security+ certification programs.
- supervisory methods and techniques.
- budgetary practices and procedures.
Demonstrated ability to
- plan, direct and assess program operations.
- manage staff and programmatic activities.
- develop and implement training programs.
- manage several large-scale projects concurrently.
- interpret all relevant District rules and regulations concerning program administration.
- use a personal computer.
- communicate effectively, both orally an in writing.
- establish and maintain effective working relationships.
- Deputy Executive Director of Place-Based Initiatives, City of Philadelphia
- Transforming Justice Hub Facilitator, CORA
- Data Analyst, Defender Association of Philadelphia
Stay Current in Philly's Higher Education and Nonprofit Sector
We compile a weekly email with local events, resources, national conferences, calls for proposals, grant, volunteer and job opportunities in the higher education and nonprofit sectors.