Assistant Crew Leader – PowerCorpsPHL, AmeriCorps Position
Posted by Education Works on June 25, 2019
Position Type: AmeriCorps position; six-month to one-year, full-time service term
Compensation: $1,720/month pre-tax plus transportation and AmeriCorps benefits
EducationWorks engages children and young people by providing high quality educational programs that make the school day whole and reengage disconnected young adults to education and career readiness. From in-school programs to out-of-school time and AmeriCorps service, youth from six years to adulthood are positively impacted by EducationWorks programming. EducationWorks creates Opportunities for Learning and Skills for Life.
Launched in September 2013, PowerCorpsPHL is a City of Philadelphia AmeriCorps initiative operated by EducationWorks. PowerCorpsPHL engages disconnected young adults and returning citizens to enter and succeed in career pathways by using service as the strategy to provide career-connected education and paid, work experiences. Working closely with partners in the public and private sector, PowerCorpsPHL members engage in a 12-month phased experience tackling pressing environmental challenges in Philadelphia and developing the skills required to secure meaningful work.
The PowerCorpsPHL Assistant Crew Leader is a critical AmeriCorps position that provides leadership to an AmeriCorps crew, environmental stewardship to local communities, and mentorship to first-term AmeriCorps members who are serving to build their skills, advance community, and connect to employment. Assistant Crew Leaders serve closely with their assigned Crew Leader and other program staff to complete environmental service projects and add coaching and project management capacity to a crew of 8-10 AmeriCorps members ages 18-26 years old. Assistant Crew Leaders will serve full-time from August 2019 through January 2020 with the possibility to serve another six-month term through July 2020.
The Assistant Crew Leader is expected to:
- Serve on environmental stewardship projects to create cleaner, healthier, and safer public spaces and waterways, including: Removing invasive, dead, or damaged vegetation and other organic debris; Planting, pruning, mulching, and caring for native vegetation and trees; Removing litter and non-organic debris while separating recyclable materials; Conducting preventive maintenance on tools and equipment; Serving as environmental ambassadors to local residents by communicating service project goals and objectives; Supporting efforts to clean, paint, organize and maintain public recreation centers
- Engage in and play a leadership role in national days of service and city-wide service events
- Serve as a community leader
- Treat members fairly and encourage and model positive communication
- Support and/or lead daily and weekly crew activities and reflections that create and maintain crew and Corps values, respectful interactions, and crew community and teamwork
- Empower and support the social-emotional growth and workforce development of your crew’s members
- Support the logistics of service project completion, including: Tool, equipment, and material management; Safety protocols; Crew management and crew administrative tasks
- Share project highlights and photos and support the completion of crew presentations
- Support recruitment of AmeriCorps members, including: Public speaking at community events; Coordination of information sessions with community partners; Leading engagement events for interested candidates
- Attend program, staff, and community meetings and outreach events
- Experience serving or working with Opportunity Youth or in communities of color
- Leadership experience
- Ability and willingness to complete and co-lead outdoor, physically demanding service projects
- AmeriCorps experience, strongly preferred
- Outdoor education, environmental, or nature-based experience, preferred
- Social work or youth development experience, preferred
- Full-time availability Monday through Friday 7am-4pm and one weekend day per month
To Apply: Email resume and cover letter to [email protected] with your name and the position title in the subject line.
- Center Director, Childspace Centers
- Transportation Planning Intern, Streets Department
- Webinar: AmeriCorps NCCC: Preparing to be a Team Leader – Nov 30
Stay Current in Philly's Higher Education and Nonprofit Sector
We compile a weekly email with local events, resources, national conferences, calls for proposals, grant, volunteer and job opportunities in the higher education and nonprofit sectors.