AmeriCorps*VISTA, Project Coordinator, Global Citizen
Posted by Global Citizen on June 16, 2014
Global Citizen is hiring an AmeriCorps VISTA, who will serve as Project Coordinator. The VISTA will play a crucial role in sustaining and expanding Global Citizen’s newest program, Mission365, which connects veterans with employment resources and service opportunities.
The VISTA will plan and execute a series of job readiness workshops and digital jobs fairs for unemployed veterans, the bulk of whom are facing poverty and homelessness. The VISTA will be responsible for developing a program plan to increase the impact of Mission365.
The VISTA will develop a series of service projects aimed at engaging and serving local veterans in service. The VISTA will also play a key role in supporting the organization of veteran-focused projects and events around the Greater Philadelphia Martin Luther King Day of Service, including a Jobs & Opportunity Fair, which is attended by hundreds of people every year.
The VISTA will also be a part of the SERVE Philadelphia VISTA team, which works within the Mayor’s Office of Civic Engagement and Volunteer Service to promote service and strengthen Philadelphia’s communities.
Here’s who we’re looking for:
• You are a self-starter. You are constantly looking for new avenues for improvement.
• You’re deeply committed to community service, social justice, and civil rights. You’ve volunteered and served in a variety of capacities.
• You’re organized, sharp, and confident. You’ll be able to take on some big projects and be a leader.
• You’re the type of person who thrives on doing of things the right way the first time. When you say, “I’ll take care of it,” we know it will be done well. When you don’t know the answer, you aren’t afraid to ask your colleagues.
• You communicate clearly and effectively in different formats, including emails, phone calls, speaking in front of groups, one-on-one meetings, etc.
• You appreciate perspectives and experiences that differ from your own and are flexible enough to build relationships with partners who have very different work styles.
• You understand the AmeriCorps VISTA program. You’re able to commit to a year of service and live on the AmeriCorps stipend.
Here are some of the things the AmeriCorps VISTA Project Coordinator will do over the next year:
Organize King Day of Service Jobs & Opportunity Fair
• Research and secure employers and workshop presenters for jobs fair.
• Work with Director of Programs & Partnerships and other key partners to coordinate jobs fair logistics.
Expand our new, Mission365 Program
• Develop a comprehensive program expansion plan for Mission365.
• Lead at least two employment readiness workshops for veterans per quarter.
• Sustain & expand our veteran website, a comprehensive online database of organizations in the Philadelphia region that serve veterans, active duty military, and military families.
• Conduct consulting sessions with veteran-serving organizations to support volunteer mobilization.
• Work with the Outreach & Programs Manager to develop a targeted outreach strategy to boost the engagement of veterans, active military and military families around the Greater Philadelphia Martin Luther King Day of Service.
• Organize community service projects that engage veterans as volunteers and leaders.
• Collaborate with Director of Programs & Partnerships to organize King Day of Service signature site events, which includes the jobs fair, a community health fair, volunteer fair, children’s carnival and other service projects.
• Lead National AmeriCorps Week activities in Philadelphia in partnership with the Mayor’s Office of Civic Engagement & Volunteer Service.
A little more about us:
Global Citizen is a non-profit organization dedicated to civic engagement among diverse groups through volunteering, education, community building, service learning, economic opportunity, leadership development and dialogue. Global Citizen brings together people of all ages and backgrounds through active citizenship and civic responsibility that result in breaking down barriers, building understanding, and fostering ongoing, diverse partnerships. Global Citizen Programs include the annual Greater Philadelphia Martin Luther King Day of Service and year-round MLK365. Issues of focus include poverty, homelessness, at-risk young people, race relations, public health, safety, digital inclusion, veterans, energy and the environment.
MLK365 is Global Citizen’s year-round program that promotes sustainable civic engagement and volunteer opportunities.
• Community Volunteer Program
• Neighbors in Action Community Leadership Workshops
• Service Clubs – service learning curriculum
• quarterly discussions on race, class, and power
• Mission365: Connecting Military and Civilian Service on the Home Front
We are a small organization, but our impact is widespread. The Greater Philadelphia Martin Luther King Day of Service is the oldest and largest King Day of Service event in the country, engaging over 125,000 volunteers in some 1,700 community projects in 2014. In the past, we’ve hosted events with Vice President Joe Biden, Members of Congress, mayors, Nobel Peace Prize winner Leymah Gbowee, and Wendy Spencer, CEO of the Corporation for National and Community Service. As a part of our team, you’ll make connections with leaders throughout the nonprofit, education, and business communities.
Our style is flexible, creative and very team-orientated. We all work closely with each other, share ideas, and work together to make our projects successful. In the weeks leading up to King Day, we work longer hours – you should be prepared for some late nights – but we have fun!
• The Global Citizen VISTA will serve full-time for one year, beginning in late August 2014. The position requires full time service, with occasional responsibilities in the evening and on weekends.
• The VISTA will be required to attend a mandatory Pre-Service Orientation prior to beginning the year of service. Transportation and housing for the Pre-Service Orientation will be covered.
• NOTE: Per the policy of the Corporation for National and Community Service, AmeriCorps VISTAs cannot engage in additional paid work during their year of service nor can they be enrolled in college courses on a full or part-time basis.
• AmeriCorps VISTAs receive an annual living allowance of $12,192 ($468 every two weeks), before taxes. VISTAs can also enroll in the VISTA Health Benefits Program. The Global Citizen VISTA will also receive a monthly public transportation pass.
• VISTAs who successfully complete their year of service can choose to receive either an Education Award of $5,550 or an End of Service Stipend of $1,500. The Education Award, which is subject to taxation, can be applied to any federally backed student loan or used to pay tuition in the future.
For detailed information about AmeriCorps VISTA, including member benefits, please visit: http://www.americorps.gov/about/programs/vista.asp.
Interested? How to apply:
Send a cover letter, resume, and a one-page writing sample to Louisa Mfum-Mensah, Director of Programs & Partnerships at Louisa@globalcitizen365.org. Please include the words “Project Coordinator/AmeriCorps VISTA Application” (no quotes, but please do use that exact phrase – it will help us keep track of the applications we receive) in the subject line. Application deadline is Monday, June 16th, 2014.
- Educator (Part-Time, Temporary), Eastern State Penitentiary Historic Site – Feb 12
- Community Resource Corps Spring 2023 Cohort – Feb 9
- Project Assistant (College/Graduate/Post-Graduate Students), Connect the Dots – Feb 15
Stay Current in Philly's Higher Education and Nonprofit Sector
We compile a weekly email with local events, resources, national conferences, calls for proposals, grant, volunteer and job opportunities in the higher education and nonprofit sectors.