AmeriCorps*VISTA, PHENND Senior Projects Initiative
Posted by on March 2, 2009
The Philadelphia Higher Education Network for Neighborhood Development (PHENND) seeks an AmeriCorps*VISTA to manage the PHENND portion of the Senior Projects initiative. The Senior Projects Initiative is an project of the School District of Philadelphia. PHENND is working to support this initiative by helping to establish higher ed partnerships for each of the participating high schools. This is a city-wide multi-university project concerned with increasing college readiness among low-income students across Pennsylvania. The VISTA member will work to train college students to in turn support high school seniors working on their senior project.
AmeriCorps*VISTA Member will:
– work with numerous campuses to maintain partnerships between those campuses and the participating high schools
– help recruit, train, and place college student volunteers
– assist teacher partners and school personnel
– implement evaluation procedures such as participant surveys and the like
– document processes and outcomes
AmeriCorps*VISTA needed for this program should be:
– self-motivated and self-directed
– able to network and build relationships with diverse constituencies
– comfortable in different institutional settings (academic, community-based, etc.)
– a quick learner
– familiar with the general landscape of service, service-learning, and work-study at colleges and universities
– passionate about improving college readiness for low-income youth
Term of service: The term of service for this AmeriCorps*VISTA position is the end of July 2009 through August 1, 2010. Compensation is a living allowance of approx. $10,000 plus an education award of $4,725. To learn more about AmeriCorps benefits visit http://www.americorps.gov.
To apply, email a cover letter and resume to PHENND Director Hillary Kane at email@example.com or 215-573-2379. Applications will be accepted through May 1, 2009.
More in "PHENND Events/Activities"
- Webinar: Spotlight on the Coalition for Anti-Racist Literacy at Bryn Mawr – Sep 22
- Fall PHENND Meeting: Sustainability – Sep 30
- Recording and Slide Decks: K-16 Partnerships June Institute: Education as Community-Building
Stay Current in Philly's Higher Education and Nonprofit Sector
We compile a weekly email with local events, resources, national conferences, calls for proposals, grant, volunteer and job opportunities in the higher education and nonprofit sectors.