AmeriCorps positions, City Year Greater Philadelphia
Posted by on October 13, 2008
Deadline: November 30th, 2008
City Year Greater Philadelphia
Full Time AmeriCorps Member
WHAT YOU WILL DO
As a City Year corps member, you will serve full-time as a tutor or mentor in schools and run after-school and school vacation programs. You will also help rebuild neighborhoods and perform a variety of community service projects. As part of your corps experience, you will work on a team with young adults who come from diverse backgrounds. Each team has a unique focus, varying from a specific neighborhood to youth leadership and social issues.
– Help students excel with one-on-one tutoring, group instruction and homework help
– Lead out-of-school and leadership development activities
– Organize service clubs, student councils, and after-school activities
– Teach children about important social issues and diversity
– Lead and organize high-impact service such as painting murals and renovating community centers
WHAT YOU WILL GAIN
– $4,725.00* education award (for members who complete 1,700 hours of service)
– Weekly stipend*
– Uniform provided by The Timberland Company
– Cell phone** provided by T-Mobile
– Basic health insurance
– Student loan forbearance (on qualifying student loans)
– Networking sessions and professional development trainings
– Leadership and diversity trainings
– Child care allowance (for eligible members)
– Between the ages of 17-24
– United States citizen or permanent resident alien
– High school graduate/G.E.D. recipient OR agreement to pursue a G.E.D.***
– Your eligibility may be contingent on prior enrollment in AmeriCorps****
Apply online at http://www.cityyear.org.
For more information contact Keira Stevenson at firstname.lastname@example.org or 267.386.7035.
City Year is available to all, without regard to race, color, origin, gender, political affiliation, disability, sexual orientation, or religion.
** Cell phone provided during service term; corps members required to return phone upon completion or termination of program
*** If you do not have a H.S. diploma or its equivalency, you will be required to take a basic academic proficiency test; your acceptance is contingent upon satisfactory testing results
**** Served no more than one previous AmeriCorps*State/National term; no more than two previous AmeriCorps terms; and will not still be enrolled in another AmeriCorps program at the start of City Year service.
- President, Archbishop Ryan High School, Phila.
- Administrative Assistant (Part-Time), Penn State Brandywine
- Front Desk/Greeter (Part-Time), Dornsife Center – Nov 20
Stay Current in Philly's Higher Education and Nonprofit Sector
We compile a weekly email with local events, resources, national conferences, calls for proposals, grant, volunteer and job opportunities in the higher education and nonprofit sectors.