Program Director, Urban Tree Connection
Posted by Urban Tree Connection on February 16, 2015
Program Director, Urban Tree Connection
Urban Tree Connection (UTC) is seeking an experienced Program Director to lead all community programming during a time of exciting growth and development. The Program Director will lead a team in further developing the dynamic, multi-generational programming at UTC, and will further the mission of technology transfer to community leaders.
Since 1989 UTC, has worked with the residents of Haddington to reclaim vacant land and build community. Neighbors once isolated from each other now connect through the gardens and farms and are active partners with UTC in developing a food production and distribution cooperative aimed at making affordable, locally-grown produce available to all. UTC’s land revitalization and agricultural projects serve as important catalysts for cultivating strong neighborhood leaders, fostering deep community cohesion, and ultimately, creating livable communities. Learn more about UTC’s programs at http://urbantreeconnection.org and http://neighborhoodfoods.org
- Manage all aspects of UTC’s Community Engagement Department including planning, implementation and evaluation of youth and adult programs, farm apprenticeship programs, Neighborhood Foods Coop and community special events.
- Stay current in urban farming, community organizing, children’s programing innovations and test practical applications for UTC’s civic engagement model. Continually innovate and evolve programming and engagement practices.
- Maintain an image of cleanliness, order and natural beauty at all sites, in collaboration with other department heads and community members.
While the emphasis of this position is managing the farms, as a key leadership role in the non-profit organization, the Program Director will be expected to support development efforts of the organization when needed.
- Attend meetings as needed, participate on relevant committees and be prepared to advise the Board on all related matters as necessary.
- Attend/participate in fundraising events
- Provide on-farm tours and make presentations regarding sustainable agriculture to potential donors and wider community
- Participate in creation of grant cases and support grant writing through research and participate in the preparation of technical grants.
- Maintain a public presence (representing UTC) in the larger urban farming/youth programming/coop community.
- Actively participate in Philadelphia’s urban farming and gardening community and seek ways to collaborate and share information, resources and opportunities.
- Lead workshops relating to urban farming and food preservation.
- Lead/participate in educational farm tours.
- Participate actively in the development of the Neighborhood Foods Coop.
- Manage, train, and inspire program team, interns, other UTC staff and volunteers.
- In cooperation with Executive Director, seek, hire, orient, train, manage, and evaluate program staff
- Coordinate volunteers and volunteer groups in collaboration with UTC volunteer coordinator – make arrangements for volunteers, oversee/supervise/organize their visits to the farm.
- Coordinate student service projects; supervise them, and complete paperwork as necessary.
Position may require other duties as directed by Executive Director
Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis. The position will be filled as soon the right candidate is found, with the goal of having the Program Director on board by February 16, 2015. During the interview process candidates should expect to meet with the ED, COO and other staff/community members to insure a good cultural fit for both parties.
Qualified candidates should submit a cover letter, resume, 3 references (references will not be contacted until you are a final candidate and not without your permission) and any other information that will make it clear that you are our top candidate to Kitchen Table Consultants.
- Development Director, Challenge Program
- Assistant OR Associate Director for Student Formation and Community Engagement
- Program Coordinator, Center for the Common Good, Villanova University – Dec 20
Stay Current in Philly's Higher Education and Nonprofit Sector
We compile a weekly email with local events, resources, national conferences, calls for proposals, grant, volunteer and job opportunities in the higher education and nonprofit sectors.