2022-2023 FoodCorps Service Year
Posted by FoodCorps on May 17, 2022
FoodCorps is a national non-profit organization with a mission to connect kids with foods that help them grow up healthy. FoodCorps service is focused on three main areas of service:
- Hands-on learning: students grow, cook, and taste new foods, which builds their skills and changes food preferences
- Healthy school meals: the cafeteria experience steers students towards the healthiest options and gets them excited to try new healthy foods
- Schoolwide culture of health: as a whole, the school community and environment – from hallways to classrooms to cafeteria to grounds – celebrates healthy food. We measure our success in terms of changes in children, schools, and systems.
FoodCorps service members work with schools, service site organizations and local communities to build healthy school food environments. We do this in a variety of ways including:
- Teaching children in grades K-8 about food and nutrition in the classroom or cafeteria
- Growing healthy food with students, teachers, and community members in school gardens, dynamic educational settings where kids can get their hands dirty and experience what they’re learning first-hand
- Building schoolwide cultures of health by building strong, collaborative relationships with teachers, families, and school administrators, recruiting and training volunteers, organizing committees and running meetings, talking to press and public officials
Applications are still open for the 2022-2023 FoodCorps service year! If you are interested in serving with FoodCorps fill out an application here.
Please find more helpful information about the program below, and feel free to reach out to Emma Thurman at firstname.lastname@example.org if you have any questions about my experience serving with FoodCorps.
- TRiO College Access Program Coordinator, Phila. Education Fund
- Nonprofit Strategic Planning Consultant (RFI) – Aug 8
- Managing Director of Program Strategies, Steppingstone Scholars
Stay Current in Philly's Higher Education and Nonprofit Sector
We compile a weekly email with local events, resources, national conferences, calls for proposals, grant, volunteer and job opportunities in the higher education and nonprofit sectors.