2018 ASAP Summer Camps & Resources
Posted by After School Activities Partnerships (ASAP) on July 9, 2018
Did you know each year ASAP coordinates more than 25 programs throughout the city to keep kids active and learning during the critical summer months? Why? Research shows students need access to learning opportunities year-round to avoid losing the academic gains they’ve made during the school year. It is currently reported that 2/3 of the income-based achievement gap is caused by summer learning loss by the start of high school and by 6th grade students who’ve experienced summer learning loss are on average 2 years behind their peers.
But summer slide can be prevented! Not only does ASAP host 2 summer camps in July, but we also update our directory to include summer programs for families in Philadelphia!
ASAP Summer Opportunities & Resources:
· ASAP Summer Debate Academy, July 23rd thru July 27th 2018 ASAP Summer, Carver HS of Engineering & Science. Description: More than 40 students (grades 7-12) will develop their critical thinking and public speaking skills through a close study on the following topic: “Resolved: Developed countries have a moral obligation to mitigate the effects of climate change.”
o Registration: There are currently still slots available. Contact ASAP Debate Coordinator RJ Tischler at email@example.com or 215-545-2727 ext. 16 to sign up for (free) camp!
· ASAP Philly Girls Play Chess Camp, July 23rd thru July 27th, Carver HS of Engineering & Science. Event Description: Led by experienced female instructors, more than 40 girls (grades 1-12) will enhance their strategic thinking & problem-solving skills through a week long intensive chess camp. The camp also incorporates activities and experiences that promote camaraderie and encourages girls to persevere in a traditionally male-dominated sport.
· ASAP Directory: Each year, ASAP publishes a comprehensive, Directory of After School Programs in the Philadelphia Daily News to help families make smart decisions about the after school hours, with over 1,200 listings in every zip code in Philadelphia. But you don’t have to wait until the school year to utilize this resource! The directory also highlights our partners that organize summer programs! You can submit a new listing here: http://phillyasap.org/index.php/more/submit-directory-listing OR update your current listing by contacting firstname.lastname@example.org or 215-545-2727 ext. 11.
More in "New Resources"
- 30th Anniversary Edition of the PACDC Magazine
- New Policy Paper: Health Equity Policy Framework
- New Book: Literacy Is Liberation: Working Toward Justice Through Culturally Relevant Teaching
Stay Current in Philly's Higher Education and Nonprofit Sector
We compile a weekly email with local events, resources, national conferences, calls for proposals, grant, volunteer and job opportunities in the higher education and nonprofit sectors.