Youth Advocate (Part-Time)
Posted by Students Run Philly Style on August 4, 2020
Students Run Philly Style is looking to hire two part-time youth advocates for our new Youth Diversion program.
Students Run Philly Style is a 501(c)3 with a mission to transform lives through mentorship and long-distance running. Since 2004, Students Run Philly Style has supported youth in 6th – 12th grade as they train with mentors to meet an often unimaginable challenge: running a long-distance race. The courage and effort required to run a long-distance race, the unfailing support of a caring mentor, and the thrill of its ultimate achievement results in a student who knows anything is possible.
In 2020, SRPS launched MileUp in partnership with the Philadelphia District Attorney’s Office (PDAO), the first Youth Diversion program of its kind that gives young people facing delinquency charges a chance to remain outside of the traditional court system, and holds youth accountable while giving them a chance to build a healthy future. The goals of MileUp are to:
- Provide youth with a positive caring adult relationship to help them succeed
- Help youth build skills to overcome adversity and manage stress through exercise on the way to positive achievement across all aspects of their lives
- Provide a strengths-based option to increase positive outcomes in youth diverted away from juvenile system involvement
- Create innovative opportunities for diversion
- Build in restitution support to reduce potential debt and continued system involvement for youth and their families
- Provide youth with long-term sustainable support
The Part-Time Youth Advocate is essential to the success of the MileUp program and will work on a team of 3 youth advocates and additional volunteer mentors with support from the SRPS Associate Director of Youth Diversion. The primary role of the Youth Advocate is to support youth enrolled in the program through mentoring in a group setting, leading training/running practices with youth up to 6 hours weekly in preparation for a milestone race, conducting family intakes and exit interviews over the phone, as well as checking in with parents/guardians every 2 weeks regarding students’ progress.
Position Type: Part-Time (6-12 hours weekly); Pay: $20/hr
Learn more and apply: https://www.idealist.org/en/nonprofit-job/2940221bb289405cbd7971c2201fb511-part-time-youth-advocate-students-run-philly-style-philadelphia?utm_campaign=visitorshare&utm_medium=social&utm_source=email
- Director, Workforce Equity, Diversity and Inclusion, City of Philadelphia
- Director, Racial Equity Strategy and Policy, City of Philadelphia
- Senior Director of Operations, Mastery Charter Schools
Stay Current in Philly's Higher Education and Nonprofit Sector
We compile a weekly email with local events, resources, national conferences, calls for proposals, grant, volunteer and job opportunities in the higher education and nonprofit sectors.