Volunteers needed, Compeer
Posted by on April 6, 2009
Compeer is looking for anyone who can volunteer and help someone recover from a Mental Illness by Providing Friendship.
Compeer friendship is as simple as going for a walk, having a conversation, going to a movie or picking up the phone. Through Compeer, a volunteer can help change someone’s life for the better and it’s just as simple as being a friend.
A Compeer volunteer is a man or woman who shares a friendship with someone socially isolated by mental illness and economically disadvantaged. He or she is a sensitive person who understands and accepts someone who may feel misunderstood or rejected. Compeers spend at least four hours a month together, seeking to have weekly contact wherever possible.
Compeer matches are based on mutual preferences, and volunteers receive comprehensive training.
Compeer serves Montgomery and Delaware Counties.
COMPEER VOLUNTEER JOB DESCRIPTION:
Importance of Position to a mentally Ill Person: Befriending a person managing a mental illness, and offering regularly scheduled, supportive companionship is vital for these consumers; you help them to enjoy a more productive life, prevent costly rehospitalizations, and promote their recovery. Your time is very valuable to consumers of mental health services.
– Positive motivation to be of help to another person
– Good listening skills
– Reliable – keeps commitments
– Sensitive to needs and characteristics of mentally ill people
– Responsible to: Compeer Program Director
– Complete one Compeer Orientation session
– Establish & maintain friendship with matched friend of the same gender
– Submit required monthly reports to Compeer Office
Orientation to persons with mental illness, types of disorders and treatments, communication skills (listening, empathy, etc.,), limit setting and expectations.
Benefits of Volunteering:
– Make a new friend while being of service
– Make a real difference in the life of a mentally ill person
– Opportunity to achieve personal goals
Four (4) hours per month, at least weekly contact with friend, in person or by phone
Length of Commitment:
A minimum of one year
Grounds for Termination:
Failure to carry out assigned responsibilities or work within the program guidelines.
Volunteer Application can be completed at our website
Or by Contacting the Delaware County Office at 610.541.0790 or Montgomery Office at 610.631.1009
More in "Partnerships Classifieds"
- Call for Partnerships + Community Volunteers: Callowhill Community Fridge
- Near Peer Coaches for 1st & 2nd Year Temple students
- Shelter Health Outreach Program: Collaborators and Donations Needed
Stay Current in Philly's Higher Education and Nonprofit Sector
We compile a weekly email with local events, resources, national conferences, calls for proposals, grant, volunteer and job opportunities in the higher education and nonprofit sectors.