Volunteer Program Manager, Academy of Natural Sciences
Posted by Drexel University on April 28, 2020
The Academy of Natural Sciences of Drexel University is seeking an experienced and passionate Manager, Volunteer Programs, to strategically guide and manage all volunteer activity, including recruitment, training, placement, recognition, retention, evaluation, and impact.
Working with many internal departments and community organizations, the Manager will create, assess, and continually improve programs that engage volunteers in meaningful roles. They will provide leadership and direction for existing programs, develop new programs, evaluate the programs, and document the program’s successes. They will support the continued growth of volunteers through continuous research and assessment, support grant writing initiatives that fund the program, and offer reports and presentations about the program’s successes to a variety of audiences.
The Manager will also work closely with staff, faculty, Drexel Co-Op students, and interns. They enable recruitment, screening, training and placement of volunteers, Co-Op Students, and interns to support work throughout the Academy, and support Academy staff in designing meaningful volunteer, intern, and Co-Op positions that serve the mission of the Academy. Additionally, they support in developing and delivering training and recognition of the accomplishments of volunteers, unpaid interns, and Co-Op students. Overall, they are charged with keeping volunteers informed about the Academy and supported as members of its staff.
- Responds to questions from the public about volunteering and interning at the Academy, providing position descriptions and application instructions to them. Receives an average of 1,000 inquiries annually.
- Maintains a database of individuals who contact the museum about volunteer opportunities, tracks progress of volunteer applications, and gathers demographic information about those contacting us.
- Helps staff develop new position descriptions as appropriate, especially with growing Co-Op engagement.
- Assists potential volunteers and unpaid interns with the application process and engages staff in review of applications and decisions on acceptance of new volunteers.
- Manages the recruitment of Co-Ops through the Steinbright Career Center. Keeps staff aware of deadlines for decisions and enters data needed on the site during the recruitment process.
- Tracks recruitment in a database.
- Supports staff as needed in the development and scheduling of training for new volunteers and unpaid interns.
- Creates and maintains Volunteer Handbook and orientation, and provides such to all volunteers, unpaid interns, and co-ops.
- Assists staff in processing paperwork needed for research volunteers to get security cards and computer access.
- Assists all volunteers, unpaid interns, and co-ops with timely completion of background check forms.
- Maintains data on all volunteers who have been active at the Academy to generate reports.
- Participates on cross-functional experience planning committee, which is tasked with improving the visitor experience.
- Keeps constituency engaged and recognized: produces monthly newsletter to all volunteers, co-ops, and unpaid interns to keep them current on Academy and Drexel activities and updates.
- Executes annual volunteer recognition event.
- Communicates regularly to volunteers via email.
- Creates program evaluations and reports on the success of the program as assigned.
- Works effectively with internal partners to deliver programs successfully.
- Represents the museum in a professional manner, locally and regionally, and make appropriate contributions to the field.
- Facilitates programs as appropriate.
- Manages program budget and help secure continuing funding for the program.
- Works with supervisors and internal departments to secure new donors, sponsorships, and public relations opportunities.
- Coordinates with supervisor on yearly goals and activities.
- Complies with all Drexel-required trainings and certifications.
- Other appropriate duties as assigned
Learn more and apply: https://careers.drexel.edu/en-us/job/494442/volunteer-program-manager
- Research Project Coordinator
- Executive Director, Montgomery County Redevelopment Authority
- Director of Administration, City of Philadelphia Law Department
Stay Current in Philly's Higher Education and Nonprofit Sector
We compile a weekly email with local events, resources, national conferences, calls for proposals, grant, volunteer and job opportunities in the higher education and nonprofit sectors.