Volunteer ESOL Teacher, Puentes Hacia el Futuro
Posted by Puentes de Salud on April 16, 2018
Puentes Hacia el Futuro
2018-2019 Volunteer ESOL Teacher
Application First Deadline: Friday, May 4, 2018
The ESOL Teacher position is competitive – please apply early.
The purpose of the ESOL (English for Speakers of Other Languages) Teacher is to take an active role in preparing for and teaching the weekly ESOL class offered at Puentes de Salud. The ESOL Teacher will work closely with their fellow teachers and the class coordinator to develop and to implement curricula. The teacher is responsible for promoting student learning and ensuring that lesson plans are designed to meet student needs. Teachers must possess interpersonal skills and an enthusiasm for supporting the education of Latino adult immigrants in Philadelphia.
Puentes de Salud is a nonprofit organization that promotes the health and wellness of Philadelphia’s rapidly growing Latino immigrant population through an integrated approach to providing high-quality health care, educational programs, and community building initiatives. Puentes Hacia el Futuro, Puentes de Salud’s education program, is predicated upon the well-evidenced fact that education is inextricably tied to the health of individuals and communities. The mission of the Puentes Adult ESOL course is to improve the English fluency and confidence of adults from Philadelphia’s Latino immigrant population in order to enhance long-term health and economic outcomes for individuals, families, and the community at large.
● Design curriculum for weekly classes.
● Lead ESOL classes at least 2 Saturdays per month. Must be willing to have a flexible schedule and work with fellow teachers to ensure that class is offered consistently.
● Adapt to changing educational environment. ESOL classes are drop-in and do not require students to consistently attend, so the teacher must be prepared to work with students of all levels and backgrounds.
● Preparation, facilitation, and follow-up tasks for assigned classes.
● Build relationships and work with peers to enhance students’ educational experience.
Eligibility & Requirements
This volunteer position is available to a highly accomplished and responsible individual with significant experience teaching ESOL and/or other language courses. Spanish fluency is required. Experience designing curricula is highly recommended. Preference is given to those who can participate year long and who have experience working with similar communities. This is a volunteer, unpaid position.
Schedule: 10 am-12 pm Saturday mornings. Must be able to commit to at least 2 Saturdays per month.
Hours: Specific schedules arranged individually. Additional weekly hours outside of class required for preparation.
Location: Puentes de Salud, 1700 South St, Philadelphia, PA
To apply: Please send your resume and cover letter to Clara Warden at email@example.com.
More in "Partnerships Classifieds"
- Student PIRGs Remote Internships
- Fall 2021 Legal Internships, Public Interest Law Center
- Summer 2021 Legal Internship, Phila. VIP – Feb 19
Stay Current in Philly's Higher Education and Nonprofit Sector
We compile a weekly email with local events, resources, national conferences, calls for proposals, grant, volunteer and job opportunities in the higher education and nonprofit sectors.