VISTA Community Partnership Coordinators, Labrum/Hancock School
Join a cohort that works to strengthen communication, collaboration and community in local Philadelphia schools. PHENND seeks 21 full-time AmeriCorps VISTAs:
- 16 serve as Community Partnership Coordinators at 16 different schools all across the city
- STILL SEEKING VISTA FOR: Labrum/Hancock
- four work in the School District of Philadelphia main offices
- one VISTA Leader leads the group at PHENND’s office (must have one year of prior AmeriCorps experience).
About this project:
This will be the sixth year of an AmeriCorps VISTA project in which VISTAs are placed in selected Philadelphia public schools and the School District of Philadelphia to help manage, develop, and track external community partners.
About the school-based positions:
The AmeriCorps VISTAs sought for this coming year will coordinate and facilitate partnerships between their school and existing and/or potential outside community partners with the goal of integrating their services into the school’s schedule and meeting major school needs, thereby ensuring that these partnerships are mutually beneficial, sustainable and serving students effectively. The VISTAs will work directly with administrators and teachers to ensure strong communication between and among external partners and key school leadership.
The VISTA will build their school’s community partnership capacity in four major areas through specific initiatives:
The Community Partnerships Coordinator will build their school’s capacity in four major areas through specific initiatives:
1) Documentation/Needs Assessment – collect information on current partners; assess needs of the school from various school constituencies;
2) Communication/Relationship Building – assist in communication strategy for the school (monthly calendar, newsletter and/or social media, etc.), provide support for communication between school and partners as well as inter-partner relations, facilitate a once-monthly stakeholder meeting to discuss events, strategies, and collaborative efforts;
3) Strategic Planning – work to create systems within the school to further the strength of relationships in and outside of the school, support leadership in working to incorporate partners to address school needs;
4) Evaluation – track number and type of community partnerships, engage partners in evaluation of the school-community partnership landscape.
Apply for a school-based position here:
A separate listing for the VISTA Leader position is available on the AmeriCorps website. For this position, one year prior experience as an AmeriCorps member is required; VISTA experience is preferred. Candidates can find out more by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org.
Requirements for all positions include:
• Outstanding oral and written communication skills
• Ability to network and build relationships with diverse constituencies
• Comfort with a school-based work environment and interactions with teachers, students and staff on a daily basis
• Passion for improving educational opportunities for low-income youth
• Familiarity with the general landscape of urban schooling and the role of community partnerships in Philadelphia
• Ability to work both independently and collaboratively as needed
• Facility with word processing and managing databases
• Willingness to navigate public transit
Preferred, but not required:
• Spanish proficiency
• Web design skills
• Interest in STEM and the health sciences
• Interest in the visual and performing arts
• Today-May 31 – Online applications accepted
• May 25 – First round telephone interviews completed
• May 1-May 31 – Second round interviews and school matching meeting
• June 1 – Candidates notified
• June 5 – Candidate commitment expected
• July 18-20 – AmeriCorps Pre-service Orientation (PSO)
• July 22, 2017 VISTA term begins (approx)
• July 21, 2018 VISTA term ends (approx)
AmeriCorps VISTAs commit to a full-time year of service for a minimal living stipend of approximately $12,312 per year. VISTA members are provided health coverage and loan forbearance for any current federal student loans. Upon completion of the full year, they also receive an AmeriCorps Education Award of approximately $5770 that can be used to pay for future educational expenses and/or pay off federal student loans. SEPTA Transpass provided.
Stay Current in Philly's Higher Education and Nonprofit Sector
We compile a weekly email with local events, resources, national conferences, calls for proposals, grant, volunteer and job opportunities in the higher education and nonprofit sectors.