School District of Philadelphia
VISTA, Office of Grants Development, School District of Philadelphia
PHENND seeks a full-time AmeriCorps VISTA to serve in the School District of Philadelphia’s Office of Grants Development. This position is part of a larger cohort of PHENND K-16 VISTAs that work to strengthen communication, collaboration and community in local Philadelphia schools.
About this project:
This is the sixth year of an AmeriCorps VISTA project in which VISTAs are placed in selected Philadelphia public schools and offices at the School District of Philadelphia to help manage, develop, and track external community partners.
This first year VISTA in the Office of Grant Development at the School District of Philadelphia will address the need for additional capacity to support school-based fund development efforts. The VISTA will review OGD’s current capacity for responding to requests for funding at the school level and develop a coordinated effort to address schools who request assistance. They will help develop appropriate workshops and guidance materials for school personnel, including PHENND school-based VISTAs and Mayor’s Office Community School Site Coordinators, beyond introductory level sessions currently available, to develop grant requests in order to reduce duplication of efforts and provide a more robust and thoughtful response to schools. Finally, they will assist senior staff in making recommendations for improving existing policies, best practices, and developing any necessary new policies/efforts around fundraising.
Apply for this position directly through the AmeriCorps portal:
Requirements for all positions include:
• Outstanding oral and written communication skills
• Ability to network and build relationships with diverse constituencies
• Comfort with a school-based work environment and interactions with teachers, students and staff on a daily basis
• Passion for improving educational opportunities for low-income youth
• Familiarity with the general landscape of urban schooling and the role of community partnerships in Philadelphia
• Ability to work both independently and collaboratively as needed
• Facility with word processing and managing databases
• Willingness to navigate public transit
Timeline — Apply today for expedited consideration.
• Today-May 15– Online applications accepted
• Today-May 15 – First round telephone interviews completed
• May 1-June 15 – Second round interviews and school matching meeting
• June 15 – Candidates notified
• June 30 – Candidate commitment expected
• July 30-August 2 – AmeriCorps Pre-service Orientation (PSO)
• August 3, 2018 VISTA term begins
• August 2, 2019 VISTA term ends
AmeriCorps VISTAs commit to a full-time year of service for a minimal living stipend of approximately $14,136 per year. VISTA members are provided health coverage and loan forbearance for any current federal student loans. Upon completion of the full year, they also receive an AmeriCorps Education Award of $5920 that can be used to pay for future educational expenses and/or pay off federal student loans. SEPTA Transpass provided.
Stay Current in Philly's Higher Education and Nonprofit Sector
We compile a weekly email with local events, resources, national conferences, calls for proposals, grant, volunteer and job opportunities in the higher education and nonprofit sectors.