VISTA, Financial Outreach Program, PHENND
Posted by on May 9, 2003
The Philadelphia Higher Education Network for Neighborhood Development (PHENND) seeks an AmeriCorps*VISTA to organize, implement, and sustain the Financial Outreach Program, a multi-university project concerned with increasing participation among low-income families for the Earned Income Tax Credit (EITC) and the Philadelphia Saves Program. The PACC-VISTA will work to maintain the program, organize college students to participate in the program, and sustain the necessary relationships with community partners. The AmeriCorps*VISTA member will serve the low-income community of Delaware County.
AmeriCorps*VISTA Member will:
– recruit organize 30 college students on three campuses (Neumann College, Widener University, and Swarthmore College)
– coordinate training for students as well as 5-7 site supervisors
– Place students in Volunteer Income Tax Assistance Sites (coordinate logistics)
– coordinate monthly meetings Delaware County Asset Development (DelCoAD) Group
– recruit college faculty, particularly those already overseeing VITA (Volunteer Income Tax Assistance) programs, to participate in the program as a service-learning experience for students
– document process and outcomes
AmeriCorps*VISTA needed for this program should be:
– self-motivated and self-directed
– able to network and build relationships with diverse constituencies
– comfortable in different institutional settings (academic, community-based, etc.)
– a quick learner
– familiar with the general landscape of service, service-learning, and work-study at colleges and universities
– passionate about achieving economic security for low-income families
For more information about how to apply, contact PHENND Director Hillary Aisenstein at 215-573-2379 or visit the AmeriCorps Recruitment website at http://recruit.cns.gov.
For more information about the Financial Outreach Program, visit http://www.upenn.edu/ccp/PHENND/initiatives/finoutreach.html
Application deadline: May 25, 2003.
More in "PHENND Events/Activities"
- Service Stories: Episode 7
- Fall PHENND Meeting: Trauma-Informed Approaches in Virtual Settings – Oct 5
- Service Stories: Episode 6
Stay Current in Philly's Higher Education and Nonprofit Sector
We compile a weekly email with local events, resources, national conferences, calls for proposals, grant, volunteer and job opportunities in the higher education and nonprofit sectors.