VISTA, Attendance and Truancy
Posted by PHENND on September 5, 2016
One AmeriCorps VISTA sought for this school year to work with the Office of Student Services to coordinate the School District of Philadelphia’s efforts with other Philadelphia agencies around attendance and truancy. The VISTA will conduct best practice research and report on this research, making recommendations to the Office of Student Support Services. The VISTA will develop a campaign around improving attendance and participate in other campaigns as directed. The VISTA will also work with school-based PHENND VISTAs to implement the campaigns. Apply for this position here.
Requirements for all positions include:
• Outstanding oral and written communication skills
• Ability to network and build relationships with diverse constituencies
• Comfort with a school-based work environment and interactions with teachers, students and staff on a daily basis
• Passion for improving educational opportunities for low-income youth
• Familiarity with the general landscape of urban schooling and the role of community partnerships in Philadelphia
• Ability to work both independently and collaboratively as needed
• Facility with word processing and managing databases
• Willingness to navigate public transit
AmeriCorps VISTAs commit to a full-time year of service for a minimal living stipend of approximately $12,312 per year. VISTA members are provided health coverage and loan forbearance for any current federal student loans. Upon completion of the full year, they also receive an AmeriCorps Education Award of approximately $5770 that can be used to pay for future educational expenses and/or pay off federal student loans. SEPTA Transpass provided.
Timeline: Start as soon as possible following mandatory VISTA Pre-Service Orientation
More in "PHENND Events/Activities"
- Service Stories: Episode 2
- Webinar: Global Teaching and Learning in the Time of COVID-19: Open Access, Virtual Collaborations and New Global Learning Pathways – Aug 13
- Webinar: A Toolkit for Understanding Local Issues in Global Context, Including Racism and Structural Inequality – Aug 11
Stay Current in Philly's Higher Education and Nonprofit Sector
We compile a weekly email with local events, resources, national conferences, calls for proposals, grant, volunteer and job opportunities in the higher education and nonprofit sectors.