Vice President of External Affairs, Franklin Institute
The Franklin Institute, the most visited museum in the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania, strives to be the world leader in promoting science and technology education and literacy through inspiring and engaging experiences that cultivate curiosity, critical thinking, and an understanding of the crucial role science plays in our lives.
At The Franklin Institute, we provide an environment that’s as nurturing as it is dynamic. Our team-oriented approach allows for ample learning and career growth opportunities. We think you’ll find the Institute offers the ideal atmosphere in which to best use your skills and talents. We are eager for your input, ideas, and inspiration.
Reporting to the President and CEO, the Vice President for External Affairs is a member of the Institute’s executive leadership team with responsibility for the strategy, development and execution of all fundraising initiatives and philanthropic revenue. The Vice President oversees a team of approximately 18-20 staff members, providing leadership and direction in the establishment and achievement of annual program plans and financial goals, and is responsible for activities that generate in excess of $11 million in annual operating revenue from Membership and Development. In addition to the annual revenue goals, the Vice President oversees fundraising for restricted projects and capital campaigns. This includes the current major Capital Campaign to fund the renovations of the building and new exhibitions. The position manages a portfolio of approximately 70 high capacity donors and prospects and works closely and independently with Institute leadership and volunteers including members of the Board of Trustees.
Serving as the leader of the External Affairs team, responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Oversee programs charged with raising $11 million or more in operating support each year.
- Oversee fundraising for special projects and capital campaigns.
- Oversee the Institute’s government relations work.
- Manage a portfolio of 70 high capacity donors and prospects; developing, soliciting and stewarding gifts.
- Serve as primary staff liaison to the Development and Government Relations Committee and the Nominating and Board Resources Committee of the Board of Trustees.
- Work closely with the CEO/President on Board relations, communications, engagement, onboarding and cultivation.
- Lead a team of approximately 18-20 staff members, ensuring they have resources to meet their objectives, participate as strong team players on behalf of the Institution and enjoy meaningful opportunities for professional development.
- Oversee production of the annual Franklin Awards Ceremony and Dinner event.
- Participate as a member of the Institute’s executive leadership team, contributing to overall operations and direction and assist the President and CEO with special projects as required.
- Position will work closely with colleagues throughout and at all levels of the organization, senior volunteers and donors.
- Represent The Franklin Institute at business and social events throughout the community.
Read more and apply: https://www.fi.edu/vice-president-of-external-affairs
Stay Current in Philly's Higher Education and Nonprofit Sector
We compile a weekly email with local events, resources, national conferences, calls for proposals, grant, volunteer and job opportunities in the higher education and nonprofit sectors.