Vice President, Diversity & Community Engagement, Thomas Jefferson University
Posted by Jefferson University on September 1, 2020
PRIMARY FUNCTION :
To support, within a collaborative environment, projects, partnerships, education/training and processes integrating the organizations values of diversity, inclusion and cultural competence throughout our primary functions. To support the operations and administrative needs of all diversity action teams, councils and employee resource or affinity groups . To support the assessment, design, development, implementation and evaluation of these programs and processes within clinical and non-clinical partnerships. Manages special and on-going projects. Assists with communications, coordination of activities, calendar and events.
Provides leadership on a range of services, programs, policies and procedures related to advancing Jefferson’s commitment to diversity and inclusion. Lead Jefferson’s efforts in community outreach, focusing on improving access and delivery of cultural competent care across the enterprise.
- Analyzes, plans, and organizes multiple projects and events. Exercises sound judgment in handling sensitive and confidential information and situations.
- Responsible for management of administrative and training needs for all diversity action teams and councils within the enterprise (both health and academic).
- Monitor team performance by developing both an action plan for each action team and councils and updating an annual scorecard
- Maintain positive relationships with both liaisons throughout the organizations and with the executive sponsors for each action team and councils. Ensures continued engagement of team members and Executive sponsors.
- Responsible for attending each team meeting. Facilitates and/or moderates meetings; Ensures meeting objectives are met and the team members remain on point. When sensitive issue arrive they must understand when and how to escalate them when necessary.
- Oversight and coordination of a large population of diversity and inclusion committee members across Jefferson Enterprise.
- Acts with strong sense of urgency and skill to make important decisions quickly.
- Assists with communications: Provides an overview of the status of all diversity action teams and councils and employee resource and/or Affinity groups. Writes success stories for communications via both internet and intranet. Collaborates with Jefferson web teams to develop content to be added to both Intranet and Internet sites. Maintains schedule for all diversity actions teams and council activities across enterprise.
- Coordination of activities: Responsible for understanding and following internal event planning protocols across enterprise and for external functions. Leads event planning functions; securing venue, ordering food, preparing marketing materials. Builds relationships with departments within each delivery network that manage event planning activities like nutrition, logistics, security, parking, marketing etc. Orders items for teams and department and work with purchasing
- Assists in the development and maintenance of budget for the fiscal year.
- Works with Diversity Officers to develop and implement strategies to engage Jefferson faculty, staff, and students to help create a diverse, equitable, inclusive, and accessible working and learning environment, ensuring our workforce reflects the communities that we serve.
- Serve as a change agent by challenging the status quo processes, policies and practices in order to create learning and working environments where everyone feels valued and has the opportunity to succeed.
- Create a sustainable infrastructure around current diversity and inclusion initiatives.
- Plan, implement and track Jefferson’s efforts towards developing a more diverse, inclusive, and equitable community; establish a system of accountability using data and reporting.
- Demonstrate leadership with an entrepreneurial approach to program development and implementation of an operational plan while establishing dynamic relationships with students, faculty, staff, patients and community leaders.
- Expand efforts in the community related to inclusion, diversity and health equity.
- Forge alliances and strategic relationships with community organizations to develop more effective approaches to increasing diversity and inclusion.
- Provide recurring educational opportunity on diversity, inclusion and equity topics that encourage both the Jefferson community and surrounding communities to become better versed in issues of diversity and inclusion.
- Interacts with co-workers, visitors, and other staff consistent with the values of Jefferson.
- Associate Dean – Equity and Access, Admissions, University of Pennsylvania
- Staff Attorney Position, Public Interest Law Center
- Operations Coordinator, Green Woods Charter School
Stay Current in Philly's Higher Education and Nonprofit Sector
We compile a weekly email with local events, resources, national conferences, calls for proposals, grant, volunteer and job opportunities in the higher education and nonprofit sectors.