Unniversity of Pennsylvania Graduate School of Education
Full Time Secondary Math Instructional Coach, Urban Teaching Apprenticeship Program
The Graduate School of Education at the University of Pennsylvania seeks a Secondary Math Instructional Coach/Clinical Instructor with experience teaching in grades 7-12, to join the Urban Teaching Apprenticeship Program (UTAP). The individual will be a key developer of UTAP’s new school-based Instructional Coaching curriculum/model. In this role, the Instructional Coach will work with UTAP faculty, and K-12 school and district leaders to encourage and nurture partnerships between the schools that include learning experiences that mutually benefit program improvement and K-12 teaching and learning. This is a 12 month, 100% FTE position at the non-tenure rank of Instructional Coach. This is a grant funded position with potential for re-appointment after the grant period, dependent on funding.
Primary responsibilities of the Instructional Coach include:
- Coach (in-person) a small cohort of teacher candidates (apprentices)
- Lead Mentor Labs – Develop, facilitate and evaluate professional learning opportunities for Classroom mentors (teachers of record that host apprentices) that equip them with coaching skills/practices
- UTAP Program Field & School Development – Support the development of the UTAP Instructional Coaching curriculum/model through working with UTAP faculty AND with school and district leaders to nurture partnerships
- Teaching Assistance – Support UTAP faculty as teaching assistants in UTAP methods courses and develop “studio days” school-based learning experiences that mutually benefit pre-service teachers in UTAP program as well as in-service teacher in partner schools
Senior Instructional Coach positions may be available depending on level of experience and education. All responsibilities listed above under 1, 2, 3 apply. Instead of #4, senior positions will have independent teaching loads, (2-3 courses, one each summer, fall, spring) and support program research/evaluation.
- Masters or doctoral degree with a strong emphasis on education (equivalent experience will be considered). Senior positions may be available depending on level of experience and education.
- Minimum of five years of teaching and coaching/mentoring experience in a content area [Math, Science, Social Studies, English Language Arts] grades 7-12, preferably in an urban context
- Experience maintaining innovative school university partnerships in teacher education
- Deep knowledge of current pedagogies to support teacher learning
- Strong communication and organization skills and ability to work collaboratively with school and university teacher educators
- Strong technology skills
- Flexible thinker
- Self-motivated and a team player
To apply: Instructional Coach/Secondary Math
Stay Current in Philly's Higher Education and Nonprofit Sector
We compile a weekly email with local events, resources, national conferences, calls for proposals, grant, volunteer and job opportunities in the higher education and nonprofit sectors.