Fab Youth Philly
That Old Camp Magic: Creating Engaging Summer Camp Programming – Apr 9
Date and Time: Apr 9, 2019, 9:30 AM – 12:30 PM
Location: West Chester University in Philadelphia, 701 Market St, Philadelphia, PA 19106
In this workshop, participants will be introduced to strategies for designing an engaging summer camp program and about the “Three R’s” that make summer camp unique. This is a highly participatory workshop and participants will experience several camp activities and be prepared to develop their own engaging camp activities for their campers.
Goals: To provide an overview of the three things (relationships, rituals and routines) that make camp programming different from typical afterschool programming. Provide resources for effective summer/camp programming.
Objectives (participants will be able to):
- List the Three Rs of camp as Relationships, Rituals and Routines;
- Describe the difference between rituals and routines;
- Create at least 2 rituals and 2 routines;
- Identify activities that are appropriate for relevant/different age groups; and
- Identify at least two opportunities for relationship building, 1 between adults and youth and 1 between youth.
Audience: Youth Workers AND Supervisors of Youth Workers
Youth Worker Competencies: Competency #5, Ability to effectively implement curricula and program activities.
Stay Current in Philly's Higher Education and Nonprofit Sector
We compile a weekly email with local events, resources, national conferences, calls for proposals, grant, volunteer and job opportunities in the higher education and nonprofit sectors.