Tech Skills Tutor Training Facilitator
Posted by Office of Adult Education on June 19, 2017
The Office of Adult Education, formerly known as the Mayor’s Commission on Literacy, is an office of the City of Philadelphia that works to ensure that all Philadelphians have access to high-quality adult education services. The Office coordinates and supports programs serving the estimated 550,000 adults in Philadelphia who lack the literacy, digital and workforce skills necessary to obtain and retain family-sustaining jobs.
To increase adult education services available to adult learners in Philadelphia, the Office of Adult Education provides training for volunteers. After training, volunteers are placed in adult education programs across the City to work and support adult learners. OAE is launching a new volunteer training course, Tutor Now, Tech Skills Training, for volunteers interested in bridging the digital divide through education. The course is designed to equip volunteers with a basic understanding of adult learning, and strategies for teaching technology skills to adults in KEYSPOTs and adult education programs. OAE is seeking an Independent Contractor for the position of Tech Skills Tutor Training Facilitator to deliver online instruction to volunteers taking the Tutor Now, Tech Skills course.
Job Title: Tech Skills Tutor Training Facilitator (Online)
Job Summary: The Tech Skills Tutor Training Facilitator prepares and facilitates online professional training for Adult Education Volunteer Tutors across the city, to effectively help adult learners improve their digital literacy skills. The Tutor Now, Tech Skills Training is a two-week, asynchronous, instructor facilitated, cohort-based course offered online. This position reports to the Office of Adult Education Volunteer Programs Manager.
Responsibilities: Functions and responsibilities may include, but are not limited to the following:
• Plans and delivers lessons according to established program curriculum
• Provides volunteer tutors with strategies and resources to use when working with adult learners
• Facilitates online sessions
• Monitors participation and completion of the components of the tutor training including:
responding to trainees’ online posts
providing encouragement and support as these trainees progress through the course
occasionally stimulating discussion to maintain trainees’ engagement
contacting trainees who are falling behind in the course
• Compiles and submits training reports that summarize the number of attendees, activities undertaken during the online training, and provides recommendations
• Grades trainees on OAE’s Student Information System in a timely manner
• Participates in occasional team meetings, facilitator trainings, and professional development opportunities as needed.
Qualifications and Requirements:
• Bachelors’ degree required. Master’s degree in social science, education, technology or a closely related field preferred.
• Knowledge of and experience of adult learning theory and practice, facilitation and training techniques, instructional design methods, and specific knowledge of the program or training in adult education settings preferred.
• Experience tutoring and/or teaching online formats.
• Experience tutoring and/or teaching digital skills.
• Comfort with new technologies and an understanding of how technology can be integrated into learning
• Proven application of effective written and oral communication skills to effectively create and facilitate training sessions.
• Applicants should reside in the Greater Philadelphia area.
Application Instructions: To apply for this position, please send a cover letter and resume to VolunteersAdultEdu@Phila.gov. Please write Tech Skills Tutor Training Facilitator in the subject line of the email. Applications must be submitted by July 14, 2017.
- Staff Attorney Position, Public Interest Law Center
- Operations Coordinator, Green Woods Charter School
- Customer Success Manager – PA (Remote), Aunt Bertha
Stay Current in Philly's Higher Education and Nonprofit Sector
We compile a weekly email with local events, resources, national conferences, calls for proposals, grant, volunteer and job opportunities in the higher education and nonprofit sectors.