teaching positions, YESPhilly Accelerated High School
Posted by YESPhilly on June 8, 2015
The YESPhilly Accelerated High School is a small school serving youth who have previously dropped out of Philadelphia Public Schools. YESPhilly has a strong youth engagement/development model that helps students address many of the challenges they face, while preparing them for a successful transition to post-secondary training or employment. We are looking for engaging, passionate and resourceful teachers to join our team.
Current teaching positions are: English, Social Studies, Special Education
Our teachers are high-energy individuals with in-depth knowledge of his/her subject matter and a strong interest in teaching at-risk youth. The ideal candidate will deliver rigorous, learner-centered lessons aligned to standards that support the wide variety of students within the classroom. They will teach the knowledge and skills, inspire the passion, and intentionally cultivate the lifelong habits needed for our students to achieve their goals and positively impact the community. They will plan and prepare lessons that utilize a variety of instructional strategies and use both formative and summative assessments that result in deeper learning and engaged self-directed learners. They will implement classroom management techniques to create a safe and supportive classroom environment that demands the best quality work from all students. Our teachers participate in and lead professional development. They communicate and collaborate professionally with other staff, parents and community members to support student growth.
• Belief that all students should be held to high standards
• Positive attitude and a drive for personal excellence
• Outstanding instructional skills, including the ability to motivate and challenge students
• Ability to adjust instructional strategies in order to reach year-end goals
• Receptiveness to feedback and a desire to continuously improve
• Strong sense of accountability for both student achievement and personal development
• Proven ability to maintain an orderly classroom environment
• Eagerness to bring new ideas to table
• Bachelor’s degree and requisite teacher’s certification (or plan to become certified)
• Demonstrated expertise in subject area
• Successful classroom teaching experience in an urban middle or high school or other setting serving under-resourced youth
Responsibilities include, but are not limited to: model professionalism; adhere to YESPhilly school policies, procedures and deadlines; maintain grades and attendance in school’s database system; arrive/leave school on daily basis per scheduled hours; and perform other duties as assigned.
Compensation & Position Hours:
This position is for the 2015-2016 school year. The applicant will be expected to be available to start no later than August 17, 2015. The instructor hours are from 8:30 am — 4:30 pm, Monday–Friday. All candidates will need to have or obtain Child Abuse, Criminal Background, and FBI Fingerprint Clearances. Interested candidates should reply with resume, cover letter, references and salary requirements.
- Staff Attorney Position, Public Interest Law Center
- Operations Coordinator, Green Woods Charter School
- Customer Success Manager – PA (Remote), Aunt Bertha
Stay Current in Philly's Higher Education and Nonprofit Sector
We compile a weekly email with local events, resources, national conferences, calls for proposals, grant, volunteer and job opportunities in the higher education and nonprofit sectors.