Independence Charter School West
Teaching Positions at Independence Charter School West (ICS-West)
Who We Are
- ICW West exists to equip and empower global citizens, so that our communities are united. Our students are becoming the leaders who will bring a divided world back together, and as a team, it is our responsibility to give them everything they need to do so.
- We believe that every student, with no exception, can achieve at the highest level, and our Big Goal reflects this – within the next two years, we will ensure that every student is at or above grade level in all subject areas. Right now, many of our students are not at this level. Supporting them in getting there is the focus of everything we do as a team.
- We believe deeply in being an open enrollment, neighborhood public school, with the responsibility to meet the needs of every student who enrolls, with no exception. Special education students currently make up 23% of our student population.
- Finally, we believe that being a cohesive team is the way to realize our vision. Building trust with each other enables us to honor the unique perspectives that every team member brings, talk candidly about these perspectives as we commit to decisions, and hold each other accountable for the results our students deserve.
- You will support a group of approximately 25 students to make the academic growth necessary to be at or above grade level within the next two years (by the end of the 21-22 school year).
- You will work with your Assistant Principal, our Instructional Coach, and our Content Specialists to become an expert in your content area(s), and to continually refine your classroom practices, ensuring that every student is working and thinking at an appropriately rigorous level, all the time.
- As a member of your school team (K-2, 3-4, or 5-7), you will collaborate on the creation of our new student support program, moving ICS West from a school that reacts to our students’ social and emotional needs, to a school that sees our students and adults as part of the same team, with a comprehensive system of social and emotional supports for all team members, driven by what we all believe and value.
- You will work with a school team (K-2, 3-4, or 5-7) consisting of an Assistant Principal, a Student Support Specialist, other classroom/content teachers, Intervention Teachers, Special Education Teachers, and Spanish Teachers.
- Your school team is supported by our Principal, Director of Student Support, Content Specialists, Instructional Coach, Counselors, Operations Manager and team, and CEO.
- You will also be part of the team composed of the entire staff of the school, meeting weekly to celebrate each other for living our values and doing our best to support our students.
- Our school is located at 56th St. and Chester Ave. in Southwest Philadelphia. The 13 trolley stops at our front door, and we have limited off-street parking.
- Your start date will be August 10, 2020, the first day of our three-week Summer professional development session.
- Our work day is 8:15am to 4:15pm
- The salary range for this position is $43,500 to $65,000, depending on experience and certification.
- ICS West pays for 100% of the cost of employee and dependent health benefits, and matches 403b contributions up to 5%.
This role is a fit if…
- You know that it is our responsibility as educators to give every single student everything they need.
- You are excited about having a coach and becoming the best teacher you can be.
- You know that a team can accomplish more than an individual, and are excited to get to know your teammates, build trust with them, and have candid conversations with them.
- You have a bachelor’s degree and a valid teaching certificate.
- You have at least one year of teaching experience.
- In two years, the students you have supported will all be at or above grade level in every subject area, placing them on a path toward a rigorous, college preparatory high school, and the ability to choose the life they dream of.
- A generation from now, the students you have supported will be the global citizens and leaders that our world so desperately needs, uniting communities in Philadelphia, across the country, and around the world.
- If reading about ICS West and this position excites you, we want to meet you! Please submit your resume and cover letter to Neil Peters at firstname.lastname@example.org, and we will be in touch shortly with next steps.
Stay Current in Philly's Higher Education and Nonprofit Sector
We compile a weekly email with local events, resources, national conferences, calls for proposals, grant, volunteer and job opportunities in the higher education and nonprofit sectors.