Penn State Center for Science and the Schools
Teacher Professional Development – Predicting the Future: Using Radar Data for Analyzing Weather
July 16-20, 2018
University Park, PA 16802
- David Stensrud and Matt Kumjian, Department of Meteorology and Atmospheric Science, College of Earth and Mineral Sciences
- Matt Johnson and Taylor Wood, Center for Science and the Schools, College of Education
Predicting weather, especially dangerous storms, relies on the understanding of numerous scientific theories, as well as merging data from diverse observational platforms. One tool that meteorologists use routinely is weather radar. Radar provides unparalleled information on precipitation location and amount, and information on storm structure. Weather radar is the foundation of severe weather warnings, and also provides information on wind fields under clear air conditions.
In this workshop, teachers will engage in activities that illustrate how radar data are used to better understand atmospheric circulations near the Earth’s surface that can influence severe weather. The activities will include a series of practical exercises with readily accessible data sets that will reveal how physics, earth science, math, and computer science complement each other in weather forecasting. With support from the meteorologists and CSATS, teachers will develop classroom lessons that are tied directly to their curriculum and appropriate for their students.
- Target Audience: Teachers of Middle and High School Students
- This workshop is FREE to all educators and ACT 48 is available.
- Continental breakfast, and lunch is provided for all participating teachers
- Free lodging is available and reimbursement of up to $300 for travel expenses
- Participants receive a $250 stipend
- This workshop is aligned to the PA Science and Technology standards, Engineering Education Standards, and Next Generation Science Standards.
- Enrollment is limited to 10 teachers. Use the link below to apply http://csats.psu.edu/overview-of-csats-programs/summer-workshops
- For more information email Matt Johnson at email@example.com or call 814-863-6607
Sponsored by the National Science Foundation
Stay Current in Philly's Higher Education and Nonprofit Sector
We compile a weekly email with local events, resources, national conferences, calls for proposals, grant, volunteer and job opportunities in the higher education and nonprofit sectors.