Tapping Federal Funding in Tough Economic Times
Posted by on February 16, 2009
Feb. 19 Audioconference to Focus on “Tapping Federal Funding for Needy Families in Tough Economic Times”
The Youth, Education, and Families Institute continues its popular audioconferences with a free, hour-long call to be held Thurs., February 19, at 2:30 p.m. Eastern Time on “Tapping Federal Funding for Needy Families in Tough Economic Times.” As the recession deepens, more and more families are dealing with financial emergencies stemming from layoffs, foreclosures, and declining household wealth. Many of these families may not be aware of – or know how to apply for – important federal programs that can provide a safety net in challenging times. City leaders are in a strong position to help families weather the economic crisis while also bringing additional federal dollars into local neighborhoods and regional economies.
This call will provide municipal officials with practical strategies for expanding access to a broad range of federal benefits, including food stamps, child nutrition programs, publicly-funded health insurance, the Earned Income Tax Credit, and assistance with housing, home heating, and child care costs.
TO REGISTER FOR THIS FREE CALL: Advance registration is required by close of business on Tues., Feb. 17. No phone registrations can be accepted. One day prior to the event, each registrant will receive an e-mail providing a toll-free, dial-in number to use in joining the audioconference. If you have any questions, leave a detailed message on the YEF Institute information line at (202) 626-3014.
Register for this audioconference >>
In addition to the call on tapping federal funding, the YEF Institute has announced its new audioconference schedule for the first half of 2009. These interactive, talk show-style discussions among city leaders, national policy experts, and YEF Institute staff on promising city strategies continue to grow in popularity among municipal officials and their community partners. Nearly 300 local leaders from cities across the nation participated in the most recent call held last month!
The early 2009 series will give municipal leaders new ideas for coping with the current economic crisis and continue the Institute’s focus on local innovations to help children, youth and families. Upcoming topics include:
* Thurs., Feb. 19, 2009, 2:30 p.m. Eastern: “Tapping Federal Funding for Needy Families in Tough Economic Times”
* Thurs., Mar. 26, 2009, 4:00 p.m. Eastern: “Recovery and Reinvestment Plans for America: What They Mean for Your Community’s Children and Families”
* Thurs., Apr. 23, 2009, 2:30 p.m. Eastern: “The Mayors’ Action Challenge for Children and Families”
* Thurs., May 21, 2009, 12:30 p.m. Eastern: “Neighborhood-Based Approaches to Improving Child and Family Well-Being”
* Thurs., Jun. 25, 2009, 2:30 p.m. Eastern: “Promoting School Readiness: The Challenge of Reaching ALL Children”
* Thurs., Jul. 23, 2009, 2:30 p.m. Eastern: “Ceasefire: An In-Depth Look at Using Street Outreach Workers to Stop the Epidemic of Youth Violence”
Register for one or more of these audioconference >>
Learn more about these audioconference topics >>
More in "Miscellaneous"
- Aspen Institute: 2GenLevelsUp Prizes
- Playworks in the Virtual Classroom – Nov 17
- Webinar: Reflecting and sharing our stories about the 2020 Election – Nov 10
Stay Current in Philly's Higher Education and Nonprofit Sector
We compile a weekly email with local events, resources, national conferences, calls for proposals, grant, volunteer and job opportunities in the higher education and nonprofit sectors.