Summer Thyme Cooks Program at Free Library, Applications Due June 7
Posted by Free Library of Philadelphia on June 3, 2019
The Culinary Literacy Center’s Summer Thyme Cooks program is open for applications. This year the Nourishing Literacy Kitchen Team is offering a week-long library and cooking program for youth entering grades fifth through twelfth.
Summer Thyme students will participate in one full week of programming at Parkway Central Library during the week of July 22nd for middle school students, or the week of August 5th for high school students, from 10:00 AM to 2:00 PM Monday through Friday. In addition to spending time in our kitchen classroom, each day will include short visits and activities with different library departments and people who work in the library. Copies of our featured Summer Thyme book, The Omnivore’s Dilemma: Youth Readers Edition, will be available for check out before joining us. We will be incorporating this book into activities throughout the week.
Lunch and snacks are provided, and allergies are accommodated. Recipes are youth-friendly, featuring fruits and vegetables, and practical skill-building. At the close of the week, students will receive a bag of produce celebrating their work, in sharing cooking skills and recipes with their loved ones!
We ask that all interested youth complete an application with their caregiver’s involvement:
The deadline for submitting applications is Friday, June 7th. We will be in touch with caregivers by Friday, June 15th. Spots are very limited. Applications will be processed and prioritized using the following guidelines:
- Representation from a range of neighborhood libraries: Calling youth from all areas of Philly!
- New cooks to this program: If you have not had the opportunity to participate in Summer Thyme Cooks, you are encouraged to apply!
- Commitment to be present and on time at Parkway Central Library from 10:00 AM to 2:00 PM each day, throughout the entire week: Students and caregivers will be asked to sign a contract. We anticipate a lot of interest in this program. Those who are selected to be involved are ask to be fully involved.
Questions can be sent to Shayna Marmar at firstname.lastname@example.org. This program is offered on a sliding scale of $0 to $75 per student, for the week. Ability to contribute does not impact the application process.
More in "Other Local Events and Workshops"
- Virtual Conference – Charting the Course Ahead: Healthcare in 2021 & Beyond – Nov 16
- Webinar: Black Youth and Suicide Risk Panel – Sep 30
- Five Part Series: Discover Effective Collaboration Techniques at Creative Exchange – Oct 23
Stay Current in Philly's Higher Education and Nonprofit Sector
We compile a weekly email with local events, resources, national conferences, calls for proposals, grant, volunteer and job opportunities in the higher education and nonprofit sectors.