Riverbend Environmental Education Center
Riverbend Summer Science Inquiry Institute – Aug 5-9
Registration is open for the Riverbend Environmental Education Center’s Summer Science Inquiry Institute this year, August 5-9, 9 AM – 4 PM. We have funding to support teachers with a $500 scholarship. We are accepting 20 teachers this year and applications are due on June 15.
This week-long institute will focus on food and the environment, exploring urban agriculture, water and ecosystem health. Educators connect with experts from informal education centers and participate in lessons that utilize the practices of science to explore how changing environmental conditions will impact our food systems. Using the 5E cycle for inquiry, educators build a hands-on, inquiry based lesson that aligns to PSSA Science Eligible content, PA Academic Standards and NGSS.
Who is Eligible? 3-5th grade educators in Philadelphia, Norristown and Upper Darby.
Where is the workshop? We will visit a different location each day including John Heinz National Wildlife Refuge, Fairmount Water Works, University of Pennsylvania, Riverbend, and Bartram’s Gardens.
What do I get for participating?
- There is no cost to participate in the program
- 40 hours of professional development in Inquiry Based Science Instruction
- 5 sample lesson plans aligned to PA eligible content for science, PA academic standards and NGSS
- Act 48 credit
- $500 Stipend upon full completion of week
What are the requirements?
- $200 deposit upon registration to reserve your space. This will be refunded upon completion of the program.
- A letter of support from your school administrator
- Collaborative spirit and enthusiasm for learning!
Questions? Contact Erin McCool at 610-527-5234 ext. 112.
Limited space available. Admission to the program is competitive and deadline for registration is June 15th.
Stay Current in Philly's Higher Education and Nonprofit Sector
We compile a weekly email with local events, resources, national conferences, calls for proposals, grant, volunteer and job opportunities in the higher education and nonprofit sectors.