Summer Internships, Planned Parenthood
Posted by on February 16, 2009
Planned Parenthood Association of Pennsylvania
Grassroots Organizer Internship Opportunity
Internship Date: Summer 2009
Think young people deserve accurate information about preventing unintended pregnancy and sexually transmitted infections? If yes, then join us as we build a base of people willing to work towards ensuring that Pennsylvania teens receive real sexuality education!
Who We Are: Planned Parenthood Association of PA is part of the state public affairs office for Planned Parenthood affiliates in Pennsylvania. We work to promote government policies that ensure equal, open and voluntary access to reproductive health care for women and their families.
How You Will Create Change:
Grassroots Organizer interns will spend ten weeks building support for comprehensive sex ed through public education campaigns and grassroots organizing initiatives. The interns will learn and use organizing tactics that lead to systemic social change; including significant community outreach through door-to-door public education efforts, outreach at summer concerts and festivals, engaging supporters through phone and online activism and recruiting and training new volunteers. Interns will be paired up and work as a team under the supervision and guidance of local and state Public Affairs Staff.
• Desire to educate and mobilize Pennsylvanians around women’s health issues through community engagement – including face to face conversations, crowd canvassing and phone banking.
• Team player and good independent worker
• Well-organized and self-motivated
• Ability to work from a statewide plan and meet local goals
• Computer skills including word-processing, data entry and online organizing through social networks like MySpace and Facebook
• Prior campus organizing experience is a plus, but is not necessary and can be substituted with an ability to work hard and learn quickly
• Access to reliable transportation is a necessity due to the nature of the work
What’s In It for You:
Grassroots organizing interns receive extensive training and on-the-ground experience with public education and constituent mobilization. Interns who have participated in Planned Parenthood’s internship programs have gone on to work for political campaigns both locally and nationally, and gained positions at well-respected progressive non-profit organizations. In addition to being a significant leadership development opportunity, the grassroots organizing internship is also available for academic credit. The intern is responsible for ensuring credit will be accepted and acquiring all necessary paperwork.
Interns will live in or near the communities where they will be working. Planned Parenthood will assist with finding a supporter host family for out-of-state interns. Gas/travel stipend will be provided for transportation to and from housing and internship sites.
How to Apply:
Application deadline is Friday, March 13th, 2009. Interviews will be conducted shortly after applications have been received.
Online: Go to our website, http://www.plannedparenthoodpa.org, and click on internships. Fill out the online form, and email a letter of interest and current resume to email@example.com.
More in "Partnerships Classifieds"
- Election Day volunteers, SEAMAAC
- Call for Partnerships + Community Volunteers: Callowhill Community Fridge
- Near Peer Coaches for 1st & 2nd Year Temple students
Stay Current in Philly's Higher Education and Nonprofit Sector
We compile a weekly email with local events, resources, national conferences, calls for proposals, grant, volunteer and job opportunities in the higher education and nonprofit sectors.