Community College of Philadelphia
Summer Bridge Academic Mentors – Part-Time
Summer Bridge is a five-week program designed to support scholars in their transition to high school and college, concurrently. During the five-week program, all scholars are afforded the opportunity to experience their first college course, become a part of the college community, and gain access to academic resources and support in their transition to becoming freshmen at Parkway Center City Middle College. The Summer Bridge program requires Academic Mentors who are committed to supporting, guiding, and being resourceful to the scholars for a period of five weeks. The overarching goal of the Academic Mentor is to support scholars in developing academic, social, and personal skills, which will serve them well in their transition to high school.
- Completion of all state and federal clearances.
- Recent graduate, and/or current undergraduate or graduate student working towards a degree from an accredited college/university.
- 3.0 or higher cumulative grade point average (if currently a college student).
- Successful completion of college-level English and math with a B or higher (if current college student).
- Experience with effective use of technology.
- Committed to academic excellence and success.
- Enjoys working with high school students.
- Willingness to be a team player.
- Provide academic and social assistance to students, as assigned by Coordinator and Senior Academic Mentor.
- Serve as a primary liaison between scholars and various resources/activities that are provided at the College.
- Monitor student progress during activities throughout the duration of breakfast, lunch, and all transition times.
- Serve as chaperones, as needed for trips and outings at the professor’s discretion.
- Provide academic support, tutoring, and advocate for students, as needed.
- Assist with student sign-in sheets/attendance, distribution, and collection of all materials.
- Alert Coordinator and/or Senior Academic Mentor of any concerning behavior exhibited by any student(s).
- Facilitate the delivery of college-preparatory workshops for students.
- Perform additional duties, as needed.
- Available to provide a 6-week commitment from: July 7th – August 6th.
- Maximum 30-hour commitment per week: Monday – Thursday: 8:00 am – 3:30 pm (7.5 hours).
- Mandatory mentoring training session(s) during June 29th & 30th, July 1st & 2nd.
- Available to attend daily debrief sessions from 3:00 pm – 3:30 pm, as needed.
- $10.00 per hour.
- Maximum of 30 hours per week, for a six-week time period.
Send resume to firstname.lastname@example.org
More information about the position and program:
Stay Current in Philly's Higher Education and Nonprofit Sector
We compile a weekly email with local events, resources, national conferences, calls for proposals, grant, volunteer and job opportunities in the higher education and nonprofit sectors.