Steppingstone Scholars is Hiring Graduate Students
Steppingstone Scholars works with families and school partners to provide rigorous educational programming and support for talented underserved students in the Philadelphia region to achieve academic success, opportunity, and a college degree. Steppingstone has two major program initiatives: The Steppingstone Academy (TSA), a selective city-wide academic program, and the Middle Grades Academy (MGA), Steppingstone’s investment in neighborhood public K-8 schools in North and West Philadelphia.
Position Type: Part-Time (approximately 6 hours a week on Saturdays and as needed throughout the week)
Eligible Students: Masters, Doctoral
Work Authorization: U.S. Citizen or U.S. National, Non-Citizen Permanent Resident
Time Commitment : January- May 2019
Advanced Placement Tutor
- One-on-one tutoring (subjects may vary based on expertise).
- Supporting students with homework, study skills, etc.
- Supporting students with rigorous coursework (AP/ Honors courses)
- Managing a class of 10-15 students (working independently or in small groups):
Monitoring student performance
Reporting tutoring session outcomes
Completing Academic Advising check-ins
Submitting student attendance
Writing notes on board
Distributing and collecting instructional supplies
- Strong interest in education, specifically teaching and learning.
- Proficient/ Advanced understanding of at least two subjects from the following categories:
- Math: AP Calculus (AB or BC), AP Statistics
- Science: AP Biology, AP Chemistry and/or AP Physics
- English: AP English Language & Composition; AP Literature and Composition
- Dedicated to supporting students as they work to achieve academic excellence.
- Willing to set rigorous and high expectations for students.
- Passionate about making a difference in the academic outcomes of underserved students.
- Open to feedback and willing to make adjustments in real time
Please submit a Resume, Cover Letter, and two professional references to: email@example.com. Identify area(s) of academic expertise in the Cover Letter.
Stay Current in Philly's Higher Education and Nonprofit Sector
We compile a weekly email with local events, resources, national conferences, calls for proposals, grant, volunteer and job opportunities in the higher education and nonprofit sectors.