Spring Intern, Mighty Writers
About Mighty Writers
Mighty Writers teaches kids to think and write with clarity. We offer a variety of free programs including afterschool workshops, tutoring, mentorships, College Prep courses, college essay writing classes and more. We focus on engagement and believe that writing can and should be fun and we work to build Mighty students as well as well-rounded individuals. The purpose of this position is to report to the Program Director and support the Program Manager in overseeing operations including tutoring students, assisting in workshops, direct contact with families and students in the form of phone calls or intake interviews, program registration and assisting in closing down the building. Responsibilities also include assisting in administrative tasks such as filing, data collection and entry, and document creation and storage.
● Maintain physical presence and support programs at site – minimum 10 hours/week
● Stay informed about current projects and timelines for writing assignments and programs
● Familiarity with Mighty Writers writing rubrics and best practices of writing instruction for implementation throughout programs○ Read and respond to student writing
● Assist with preparing a variety of documents (e.g. correspondence, agendas, event programs, bulletins, etc.) for workshops and other programs.
● Assist with responding to inquiries from a variety of internal and external parties (e.g. staff, parents, students, public agencies, etc.)
● Help with overseeing inventory of supplies and materials.
● Help to oversee some operations, such as:
○ Troubleshoot physical site issues as needed (electric, HVAC, plumbing)
○ Keep site clean and in good shape
○ Outfit spaces with new/current technology and replace as needed
○ Systems (computers, phones)
● Be one of the public faces of the organization and represent Mighty Writers to the media, other organizations and the public at large.
● Remain knowledgeable and informed regarding any issues, regulations or professional standards that may impact Mighty Writers policies or operations.
Mighty Writers is a community-based organization whose educational philosophies are reflected in our daily operations. We are looking for individuals who are enthusiastic, driven, and self-motivated to join our team. It is important for the intern to have an interest in building relationships with the staff as well as the students in order to get the most out of, and give the most back to the program. Applicants are required to hold a high school diploma or GED, two years of college or equivalent experience, one year of direct experience working with youth in an education-focused environment is preferable. Applicants should also have a strongly held educational philosophy of how to inspire kids to write and succeed and an understanding of its implementation and practical application. Verbal, written and interpersonal communication skills are required along with time management, organization and computer proficiency.
Please submit a resume and cover letter to the program director of the site to which you are applying:
MW South – Jamilah Thompkins-Bigelow (firstname.lastname@example.org)
MW North – Amy Banegas (email@example.com)
MW West – Khalia Robinson (firstname.lastname@example.org)
MW El Futuro – Madeline Karp (email@example.com)
Cover letter should answer the following questions:
● What is your educational philosophy of how to inspire kids to write and succeed? Where does this philosophy come from?
● How does your previous work and life experience qualify you to take on this position?
Equal Opportunity Employer
Mighty Writers provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, genetic information, marital status, amnesty or status as a covered veteran in accordance with applicable federal, state and local laws. Mighty Writers complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment, including hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leave of absence, compensation and training.
Stay Current in Philly's Higher Education and Nonprofit Sector
We compile a weekly email with local events, resources, national conferences, calls for proposals, grant, volunteer and job opportunities in the higher education and nonprofit sectors.