Mayor’s Office of Civic Engagement & Volunteer Service
Social Media & Outreach Intern, Mayor’s Office of Civic Engagement & Volunteer Service
Mayor’s Office of Civic Engagement & Volunteer Service now recruiting a Social Media & Outreach Intern for the Fall Semester
Philadelphia, PA (City Hall)
SERVE Philadelphia Outreach Manager
Unpaid part-time internship. Intern will complete 10 hours per week for up to 3 months. Schedule is flexible and there are opportunities to work offsite.
Are you interested in engaging with community leaders, city government agencies, non-profit organizations, and local colleges and universities? Do you love making connections and meeting new people? Do you have a passion for ‘getting the word out’ about community needs and causes?
The Mayor’s Office of Civic Engagement and Volunteer Service is accepting applications for a Social Media and Outreach Intern. This intern will be responsible for supporting programs and projects under the direction of the SERVE Philadelphia VISTA Outreach Manager. The individual selected for this position will play a key role in the development of SERVE Philadelphia’s social media and web outreach. Additionally, the individual will be responsible for assisting in the coordination, implementation, and evaluation of community-based outreach opportunities.
About the Mayor’s Office of Civic Engagement and Volunteer Service
The Mayor’s Office of Civic Engagement and Volunteer Service (MOCEVS) is a Cities of Service initiative in Philadelphia, PA that partners with other City entities and a range of public and private sector partners to strategically engage volunteers in ways that advance the well-being of all Philadelphians. Volunteer opportunities particularly relate to the areas of education, youth engagement, food security and community revitalization.
SERVE Philadelphia is an initiative of MOCEVS that provides organizations with a space (http://www.SERVEPhiladelphia.com) to post volunteer opportunities and recruit volunteers to help with those opportunities.
Intern Responsibilities (to include, but not limited to)
· Work with VISTA Team Leader and Outreach Coordinator to develop and/or enhance outreach strategies that engage partner organizations and the public
· Plan and execute a bi-weekly social media strategy—featuring special events and community engagement opportunities
· Assist with the coordination of SERVEPhiladelphia’s presence at a variety of local events
· Assist with content management for SERVEPhiladelphia’s website, monthly e-blast, Facebook, and Twitter pages
· Participate in other collaborative staff projects related to the MOCEVS
What We Require
· Strong verbal and written communication skills
· Proficient in Microsoft Office
· Experience in creating and producing social media content
· Enthusiasm and flexibility in working with others
· Organized, self-motivated, and able to collaborate on projects
· Undergraduate/Graduate student at an accredited College/University or college graduate
· Eager to learn; creative; professional
· Interest in civic engagement and volunteer service
· Interest in non-profit work, community development, and/or city government
· Project management experience
· Exposure to the work of city government
· Professional development opportunities
· Exploration of service-oriented careers
Applications will be accepted via e-mail and reviewed on a rolling basis through September 19, 2014. Interviews will take place as applications are received. Internship to begin late September (for up to three months).
Please apply by sending a resume, cover letter, and three references (name, contact information, and relationship to the applicant) to firstname.lastname@example.org. In your cover letter please highlight your interests, most relevant experience, reason for applying, and how you learned of this internship. Please no phone calls.
Stay Current in Philly's Higher Education and Nonprofit Sector
We compile a weekly email with local events, resources, national conferences, calls for proposals, grant, volunteer and job opportunities in the higher education and nonprofit sectors.