Site Director, Wharton, SMASH
Posted by SMASH on January 12, 2021
SMASH empowers brilliant, underrepresented students with rigorous science, technology, engineering, and math (STEM) education, culturally-relevant coursework, and access to resources and social capital that allow them to pave a successful career in tech and entrepreneurship. Now in its 17th year, SMASH Academy is scaling through an ambitious expansion strategy to achieve national impact.
A research-based organization, SMASH informs and leverages research projects examining inequity in access and opportunity across K-12, higher education, and workplace contexts in order to improve the outcomes for underrepresented students in STEM fields. SMASH is funded by private donors, foundations, and corporate giving.
Working at SMASH is about fast growth, personal commitment, and the tenacity to challenge the status quo. This is a pivotal time for SMASH as we build on the success of our education programs and scale our work dramatically. This is not for the faint of heart, but if you have what it takes to change the face of STEM, join us.
Note: This is a temporary role through August 2021 with the possibility of converting to a full time position.
Reporting to the Regional Program Director (RPD), the Site Director (SD) will serve as the interim Director for SMASH at the University of Pennsylvania. The SD is responsible for building, sustaining and improving the transformative educational experience that SMASH Scholars need to pursue, persist and succeed in STEM. Crucial to this role will be the SD’s ability to quickly form strong relationships with current scholars and parents. SMASH site instructional and operations seasonal teams will report to the SD. SMASH site size in summer 2021 will be an estimated 70 rising 11th and 12 graders. SDs, with the help of the Central Office, are responsible for hiring, training and overseeing a site staff of around 11 members and managing the day-to-day logistics of an online Virtual Academy. The SD provides leadership, vision and direction to SMASH Scholars, their parents and other community constituent groups aligned with the SMASH mission.
- Facilitate and manage all site processes, operations and logistics including hiring a Program Coordinator and Instructors for the Virtual Summer Academy
- Create a relationship-driven site team culture and implement innovative strategies to drive scholar and staff engagement and satisfaction
- Regularly communicate with scholars and parents regarding SMASH-hosted events, local opportunities and STEM exposure activities
- Manage the alignment of individual site needs, STEM exposure opportunities and community building opportunities with SMASH priorities
- Collaborate with Operations, Curriculum and Site Director teams on projects and initiatives leading up to the Virtual Academy
- Work with Accounting and Program Operations Director to oversee and manage site operating budget
- Provide data analysis of overall site performance (i.e. program management and preparedness, Scholar outcomes, staff satisfaction, etc.) at the conclusion of the Virtual Academy
- Project Manager – Direct Care Worker Training Initiative
- Young Quakers Community Athletics Boys Lacrosse Coach
- Language Access Program Manager, Office of Immigrant Affairs
Stay Current in Philly's Higher Education and Nonprofit Sector
We compile a weekly email with local events, resources, national conferences, calls for proposals, grant, volunteer and job opportunities in the higher education and nonprofit sectors.