Site Coordinator, LIFT-Philadelphia
Posted by on April 26, 2010
SITE COORDINATOR/AMERICORPS*NATIONAL DIRECT MEMBER
Our Mission and Vision
LIFT-Philadelphia’s mission is to combat poverty and expand opportunity for all people in Philadelphia. We envision a day when all people in our country will have the opportunity to achieve economic security and pursue their life goals.
LIFT-Philadelphia recruits and trains a diverse corps of student advocates from area universities and colleges to work side-by-side with low-income community members. LIFT-Philadelphia clients and volunteers work one-on-one to find jobs, secure safe and stable housing, make ends meet through public benefits and tax credits, and obtain quality referrals for services like childcare and healthcare. As a result, the LIFT experience pushes volunteers to grapple with Philadelphia’s most challenging issues related to poverty, race, inequality, and policy. Since LIFT-Philadelphia’s founding, over 400 volunteers have served more than 4,000 individuals and families. By 2015, our goal in Philadelphia is that 1,000 LIFT volunteers will have advanced over 20,000 clients on their path toward economic security. LIFT-Philadelphia is part of a growing national movement – besides Philadelphia, LIFT runs centers in Boston, Chicago, New York, and Washington, DC.
About the Position
LIFT-Philadelphia seeks driven and independent leaders to serve as Site Coordinators/AmeriCorps Members. Site Coordinators are responsible for ensuring that LIFT’s anti-poverty mission is achieved at LIFT-Philadelphia. Site Coordinators recruit and train university student volunteers to provide client services. Simultaneously, Site Coordinators coordinate on-site delivery of client services and supervise volunteers’ delivery of client services at LIFT-Philadelphia. In addition, Site Coordinators work directly with LIFT clients to find jobs, secure housing, enroll in public benefits, and help these community members obtain referrals for services like childcare and healthcare. Site Coordinators also build and strengthen partnerships with community and university organizations. Site Coordinators will work with at least one other Site Coordinator/AmeriCorps Member at LIFT-Philadelphia and will report to LIFT-Philadelphia’s Executive Director.
The position is a two year commitment. The two years of service will begin July 5, 2010 and end on July 4, 2012. However, we will consider excellent candidates who can only commit to one year of service. Mandatory pre-service training will take place in late July in Washington, DC.
Specific Responsibilities Include:
– Recruit and manage university student volunteer corps
– Provide client service trainings and other related trainings to student volunteer corps
– Coordinate delivery of client services at LIFT-Philadelphia
– Oversee and supervise volunteer delivery of client services
– Work one-on-one with low-income community members to find jobs, secure safe and stable housing, enroll in public benefits and tax credits, and obtain referrals for services like childcare and healthcare
– Directly supervise two to five university student directors
– Build and strengthen partnerships with community and university partners
– Attend meetings and trainings that address local and national poverty issues
– Assist with communications and fundraising initiatives as needed
• Commitment to LIFT’s mission and core values.
• All majors and career interests are encouraged to apply. Candidates must have a bachelor’s degree and have demonstrated a commitment to community service.
• Prior experience working with low-income communities is preferred.
• Strong leadership and interpersonal skills.
• Proficiency in a second language is a plus, but not a requirement.
• Ability to thrive in the start-up environment of a fast-growing, entrepreneurial organization. This involves flexibility, creativity, ability to take initiative, and a commitment to being a team player.
• Willingness to work some weekends and evenings.
• Living Allowance: LIFT is currently a member of AmeriCorps, the national service network. Through this relationship, Site Coordinators will be given a living stipend of approximately $12,000/year from the Corporation of National Service.
• Education Award/Stipend: Upon completion of the year of service, Site Coordinators will be eligible to receive a $5,350 education award at the end of each year of service ($10,700 over the two years), which may be used to pay back qualified student loans or for future education.
• Housing: Site Coordinators will receive a $200 monthly housing stipend from LIFT in their first year of service and will receive a $400 monthly housing stipend in their 2nd year with LIFT. (This will be added to the living allowance).
• Health Care: Full healthcare coverage provided, including dental.
• Other Benefits: As long as the individual has not previously served as an AmeriCorps Member, s/he is eligible to receive loan forbearance on qualified student loans during her/his term of service.
How to Apply to LIFT-Philadelphia
Please email a resume and cover letter to LIFT-Philadelphia’s Executive Director, Josh Romalis (firstname.lastname@example.org), outlining how your skills and experience meet the qualifications of the position and stating how you heard about this opportunity. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis.
LIFT does not make hiring decisions on the basis of race, gender, sexual orientation, age, disability, religion, or any other factor irrelevant to doing fantastic work.
- Executive Director, Montgomery County Redevelopment Authority
- Director of Administration, City of Philadelphia Law Department
- Executive Director, Catto Scholarship, Community College of Philadelphia
Stay Current in Philly's Higher Education and Nonprofit Sector
We compile a weekly email with local events, resources, national conferences, calls for proposals, grant, volunteer and job opportunities in the higher education and nonprofit sectors.