Senior Accountant, Liberty Resources, Inc.
Posted by Liberty Resources on July 28, 2014
LRI is a non-profit, consumer driven organization that advocates & promotes Independent Living for persons with disabilities. More than 51% of our Board as well as 51% of our employees are persons with disabilities. LRI is committed to affirmative action to ensure that individuals with disabilities, particularly those who are members of traditionally under-represented groups, receive full access to LRI including employment opportunities. In addition to a commitment to provide equal employment opportunities to all qualified individuals, LRI strives to affirmatively hire & promote individuals in protected classes, including those with disabilities throughout the organization.
The Senior Accountant will assist with analyzing financial information to prepare General Ledger, adjusting journal entries and periodic internal financial statements. The incumbent will assist in the process of preparing information and analysis supporting the statements and everything the independent auditors need to conduct the annual audit. The responsibilities of this position include the oversight of insurance company activities and compliance filings.
Necessary Equipment and Access:
Personal computer (Microsoft Office Suite), telephone, photocopier, fax machine, desk, chair and file cabinet.
Work Environment and Physical Demands:
Work is performed both in an office setting (100%). Employee may be asked to attend meetings outside of the primary worksite. This position has physical requirements which may include but are not limited to:
a) The operation of basic office equipment such as a copier, fax machine, computer, keyboard, calculator, telephone;
b) The ability to frequently sit, stand, bend, lift, carry, push and pull (20 lbs.) with or without reasonable accommodations to perform the essential responsibilities of the position
c) Local and national travel maybe required
- Assist with analyzing financial information to prepare financial statements including monthly and annual accounts.
- Ensure financial records are maintained in compliance with accepted policies and procedures.
- Ensure all financial reporting deadlines are met.
- Prepare financial management reports and supporting schedules according to the month-end close schedule.
- Responsible for the following schedules:
- Insurance Schedule
- Prepare and File All Applicable Journal Entries
- Ensure accurate and timely monthly and year end closes.
- Establish and monitor the implementation and maintenance of accounting control procedures.
- Complete compliance filings with state and federal regulation agencies.
- Provide backup for Staff Payroll functions.
- Resolve accounting discrepancies and irregularities.
- Continuous support of budget and forecast activities.
- Assist in the financial audit preparation and coordination of the audit process.
- Ensure accurate and appropriate recording and analysis of revenues and expenses.
- Analyze and advise on business operations including revenue and expenditure trends, financial commitments and future revenues.
- Performs routine internal audits ensuring compliance with all applicable federal, state and local laws, including payroll-related taxes. Also conduct periodic internal audits of payroll and timesheets.
- Verify appropriate general ledger accounts for expenditures in accordance with established operating and contractual guidelines.
- Assist with monitoring supporting documentation from Accounts Payable, Payroll and Billings unit to ensure accuracy of contract billings and related financial transactions.
- Reconcile bank accounts.
- Perform ongoing and interim review of financial schedules to verify completeness of documentation and any variances.
- Communicate and assist with activities between other accounting areas within the Finance Department.
- Represents Liberty Resources and its consumers at designated meetings; community events; and advocacy and community education activities as directed.
- Ensures the accuracy, completion, and timeliness of all required documentation and reports as assigned and as requested.
- Monitors and ensures positive approach to problem resolutions between consumers, staff, providers, and vendors as necessary.
- Attends Department training and technical assistance meetings as required.
- Performs all governmental filings and grant Requirements.
- Performs other work-related duties as assigned.
Bachelor’s Degree in Accounting or Finance and a minimum of two-four years of accounting experience desirably with a not-for-profit organization along with experience in government funding. The incumbent must have at least two years of supervisory experience. The qualifying candidate will have good communication and strong analytical skills, knowledgeable in MS Excel and other computer applications (knowledge of MIP preferred), detailed oriented and highly organized. Also, the incumbent will have a working knowledge of manual and automated accounting systems that are compliant with federal. Personal life experience/history relevant to the position is acceptable as a substitute for education and/or work experiences.
- Must have exceptional interpersonal skills and be able to deal with differing personalities on a daily basis. Must have ability to interact with people on all levels of the organization in a professional manner.
- Must have effective and professional communication skills (verbal and written).
- Must have proven organizational skills. Must be able to independently prioritize.
- Consumer Interaction: must be able to maintain positive interactions with consumers, their families and Attendants. Must uphold the Independent Living Philosophy.
- Appropriate confidentiality of consumer information is required at all times.
- Demonstrates personal integrity, credibility and flexibility within the scope of the job responsibilities.
- Demonstrates understanding and endorsement of Independent Living Philosophy and support of Liberty Resources, Inc. mission, vision and goals.
- Demonstrates the ability to utilize a wide range of appropriate knowledge, skills and abilities to achieve desired outcomes within the scope of the job responsibilities.
- Demonstrates the ability to understand, interpret, and uphold Center policies.
- Demonstrates the ability to accept diversity in others and to treat all individuals with respect.
- Demonstrates the ability to evaluate options, make decisions and accept accountability within the scope of job responsibilities.
- Demonstrates the ability and initiative to resolve potential or actual problems effectively and diplomatically.
- Demonstrates the ability to participate as an active member of a work team.
- Demonstrates the ability to communicate effectively both verbally and in writing.
- Demonstrates the ability to learn through the supervisory process.
- Demonstrates the ability to incorporate new knowledge and skills into work performance within the scope of the job responsibilities.
- Demonstrates the ability to organize and manage own workloads and priorities.
- Demonstrates the ability to collect, retrieve and manipulate computerized data.
- Demonstrates the ability to perform the responsibilities and functions of the position.
Liberty Resources, Inc. is an Affirmative Action, Equal Opportunity Employer and makes reasonable accommodations for Persons with Disabilities.
- Research Project Coordinator
- Executive Director, Montgomery County Redevelopment Authority
- Director of Administration, City of Philadelphia Law Department
Stay Current in Philly's Higher Education and Nonprofit Sector
We compile a weekly email with local events, resources, national conferences, calls for proposals, grant, volunteer and job opportunities in the higher education and nonprofit sectors.