Science Scope and Sequence/Curriculum Consultant, Drexel University
Science Scope and Sequence/Curriculum Consultant (9-12)
Department: School of Education, Drexel University
Reports To: Jointly to Deputy Chief, Office of Curriculum, Instruction and Assessment SDP and Dean Nancy Songer, Director Philadelphia School Works Office @ Drexel
Serve as a staff member of the new Philadelphia School Works Office @ Drexel in the development of a scope and sequence for K-12 science. Once resources are developed, assist in the location of quality curriculum resources and assist in professional development to teachers in SDP/GEAR UP schools. Additionally, grade level curriculum based measurements (CBM) in science will be developed to monitor math and science performance.
- Collaborate on the development of a new science scope and sequence in one grade band/science area. Grade band/science areas include high school Physical Science, Biology, Chemistry, Environmental Science and Physics.
- Assist in the location and alignment of curriculum materials and instructional strategies to meet the priorities of SDP STEM agenda, Action Plan 3.0 and GEAR UP grant priorities.
- Evaluate textbooks, instructional aides and materials relative to their alignment.
- Lead and/or participate in math and science professional development training and workshops for teachers in SDP/GEAR UP schools.
- Help with the planning, organization and assessment of the implementation of the new resources.
- Be an appointed certified teacher in the School District of Philadelphia in the appropriate certification area.
- Have an excellent attendance and punctuality record during the last three (3) years defined as no more than eighteen (18) occasions of lateness or absences for personal illness in the last three (3) years. A consecutive period of absence constitutes one occasion.
- Have no unsatisfactory documentation pending or currently on file.
- Undergraduate teacher education and/or advanced degree in education or related fields.
- Significant experience as a teacher/ in the respective area of expertise.
- Experience developing science lessons that combine online and offline activities, labs and lessons, and assessments which address literacy, science and math.
- Comprehensive knowledge of the PA common core standards and familiarity with Next Generation Science Standards.
- Deep knowledge of different learning styles and the proven ability to develop instructional materials to cater to diverse learners.
- Excellent instructional, writing, and editing skills.
- Team oriented educator who can work cohesively to build a quality product and meet deadlines.
The duration of the position is May 2016 – September 2016 with the possibility for renewal.
Consultants will be paid a stipend up to $5,382.45 ($39.87 per hour X 135 hours of service).
Drexel University is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer and encourages applications from women, members of minority groups, disabled individuals, and veterans. All applicants should provide a cover letter describing their relevant experience, resume and a list of three references.
Please forward your information to Christopher Shaffer, Deputy Chief Curriculum, Instruction and Assessment at firstname.lastname@example.org. Applications due by 5:00PM, Monday, May 2, 2016.
Stay Current in Philly's Higher Education and Nonprofit Sector
We compile a weekly email with local events, resources, national conferences, calls for proposals, grant, volunteer and job opportunities in the higher education and nonprofit sectors.