Register: 2020 PHENND Conference: Housing – Feb 28
The PHENND Conference is an annual gathering for practitioners of campus-community partnership. This year, the theme is Housing.
This gathering will be attended by 100-125 students, campus staff, faculty, and community organization staff active in community service, service-learning, and campus-community partnership work. While primarily targeting individuals who are part of the 25+ colleges and universities involved in the Philadelphia Higher Education Network for Neighborhood Development (PHENND), this event is also open nationally to practitioners of campus-community partnership.
We are pleased to announce that Stephanie Sena, Founder and Executive Director of the Student-Run Emergency Housing Unit of Philadelphia will be the keynote speaker. Operating since 2011, SREHUP is a non-profit homeless shelter, which teaches students about the causes of homelessness and the obstacles to overcoming it, and places students in positions of leadership in shelter operation. She also founded The Breaking Bread Village, an affordable housing community for people experiencing homelessness and their pets. Stephanie teaches history in the Center for Peace and Justice at Villanova University. Her awards include the Villanova University Pohlhaus-Stracciolini Award for Teaching Excellence, and the Greater Philadelphia Social Innovators Award for Social Impact in the area of housing and homelessness. She has presented her work at conferences and forums, and she gave her second TED Talk on May 15th, 2019. She has a forthcoming book on homeless prevention and eradication, and the role students and youth can play in that movement.
Over the course of one day, between 3 and 5 elective choices will be offered during each of three sessions. Some workshop titles include:
- Under One Roof: Strategic Partnerships to Integrate Housing Supports Within Local Youth Healthcare and Social Service Programs (Philadelphia FIGHT & Valley Youth House)
- Making an Impact on Affordable Housing (Cabrini University)
- Housing Policy for Higher Education (Hope Center for College, Community and Justice)
- Recommendations from the Homelessness Field: Visionary Session (West Chester University)
- Writers House: Anti-Displacement and Creative Placemaking (Drexel University)
- Philly 101: Paths of Social Change (Swarthmore College)
- Campus Project: Sleepout for Homeless Awareness (Rutgers-Camden/Joseph’s House of Camden)
- Affordable Housing for Graduate Students (Drexel University)
With more to come! There will also be a plenary panel of regional experts.
Friday, February 28, 2020
Location: Penn State Brandywine, Media, PA
Register to attend: https://www.eventbrite.com/e/2020-phennd-conference-housing-tickets-85540793817
Stay Current in Philly's Higher Education and Nonprofit Sector
We compile a weekly email with local events, resources, national conferences, calls for proposals, grant, volunteer and job opportunities in the higher education and nonprofit sectors.