Refugee AmeriCorps Self Sufficiency Coordinator, HIAS Pennsylvania
Posted by HIAS Pennsylvania on September 11, 2017
Background: HIAS Pennsylvania provides legal and supportive services to immigrants, refugees and asylum seekers from all backgrounds in order to assure their fair treatment and full integration into American society.
HIAS Pennsylvania advocates for just and inclusive public policies and practices. Scope of Service: The Refugee AmeriCorps position will include both volunteer management and refugee case management. The Refugee AmeriCorps Member will recruit and manage community volunteers in order to enhance the capacity of the agency to provide services to vulnerable refugee clients. The Member will also partner with Preferred Communities staff to address barriers to the attainment of self-sufficiency for refugee and asylee clients, who include clients with serious medical and mental health conditions, single parents, and victims of sexual and gender-based violence. The AmeriCorps Member will help to ensure that clients receive comprehensive support and community services that will enable the clients to gain control of their specific needs. This position reports to the Preferred Communities Coordinator.
Training Requirements: HIAS PA will provide training during an orientation period, offering background on the organization’s goals and objectives, strategies for change and values around service provision and community participation. Information and background on the refugee communities will also be shared to ensure that Members have a greater understanding of the history and needs of different refugee communities. Trainings will orient Members to their communities, the needs of resettled refugees, and the volunteer base they can tap into. Refugee AmeriCorps Members will also be educated on the AmeriCorps program and its regulations. In addition, Members will be provided specific skills to achieve desired program outcomes, such as leadership and program management, as well as job training and professional development opportunities.
● Work in collaboration with the Community Engagement Specialist to identify, recruit, train and support volunteers for our “Philly Neighbor” program;
● Develop and implement new extended volunteer trainings;
● Assist in developing individualized refugee service plans based on identified barriers to achieving self-sufficiency;
● Assist in conducting client assessments at 3, 6, and 12 months after enrollment in the Preferred Communities Program;
● Map and develop community assets and help make referrals to community partners;
● Assist in providing specialized cultural orientation to clients on navigating systems in the U.S.;
● Assist in accompanying clients to appointments;
● Maintain regularly updated case notes and case files;
● Communicate client concerns with case management supervisor.
- Must be a US citizen or legal permanent resident and authorized to work in the U.S.
- Must be at least 18 years old
- Must have a high school diploma (undergraduate degree strongly preferred)
- Must commit to one full year of service
- Language proficiency (Swahili, Arabic, Dari, Nepali, Tigrinya, French) preferred, but not required
- Upon completion of service, Refugee AmeriCorps Members will be eligible to receive an education
award of $5,815.
START DATE: October 1, 2017
END DATE: September 30, 2018
To apply, please send resume and cover letter to Sarah Hotung at email@example.com
- Chief Marketing Officer, Pennsylvania Horticultural Society (PHS)
- PACDC: Programs Assistant (Part-time)
- PACDC: Administrative Assistant (Part-time)
Stay Current in Philly's Higher Education and Nonprofit Sector
We compile a weekly email with local events, resources, national conferences, calls for proposals, grant, volunteer and job opportunities in the higher education and nonprofit sectors.