Red Cross Club Intern, American Red Cross
Job Title: Red Cross Club Intern
Department: Emergency Services
Reports to: Youth Services Staff
Red Cross Club interns will work to empower high school students participating in the Red Cross Club program in the city of Philadelphia and support youth outreach in the five-county region of Southeastern Pennsylvania. Under the supervision of Red Cross Youth Services staff, this position will assist with increasing the number of youth trained in disaster preparedness, humanitarian law, HIV/STI prevention and will educate youth in the areas of leadership and post high school career education. The internship includes additional opportunities to work on adult preparedness education initiatives.
– Develop relationship with teacher sponsors at each school location
– Develop relationship with youth at each school location, thereby generating the audience for that particular Red Cross Club.
– Develop recruitment techniques for each school, including a brochure/flyer for distribution at events.
– Engage youth in activities that will energize them as well as meet the mission of the American Red Cross.
– Create a weekly lesson plan for each club Meet weekly with each club, including teacher sponsor and members and provide social or other interactive activities.
– Act as liaison between the American Red Cross Southeastern Pennsylvania Chapter and the school.
– Meet once a week with Youth Services Supervisor/Youth Services Coordinator to discuss status of each new club
Training Provided: CPR First Aid Emergency Services trainings
– Exploring Humanitarian Law
– Financial Management
– Interviewing skills: Resume and portfolio assistance
Internal: Will be working under the direction of the Youth Services Supervisor/Youth Services Coordinator and communicating with Chapter volunteers and staff. The intern will be expected to work independently and to complete a set number of hours each week to meet the needs of their internship and the Red Cross Club program.
External: This position requires regular email and phone communication with the Youth Services staff. Additionally, the intern will be required to complete one hour of preparation time in the Chapter for each Red Cross Club.
Experience: Experience working with youth activities is preferred. A background or major in social services, education or public health is preferred. Writing and communication skills experience is recommended.
Skills needed: Excellent written and verbal communication skills Ability to multi-task in a fast-paced environment Ability to demonstrate good interpersonal skills with teachers, youth and staff Familiarity with Microsoft Word, Excel and Power Point Strong internet and research skills
Hours: Volunteer internship may involve 10-15 hours a week, including one hour of preparation time for each club, totaling three hours. Additional hours will be determined by the intern and Youth Services Supervisor/Youth Services Coordinator and may be completed during business hours and after hours for community events and/or presentations. Attendance must be consistent and accountability is important.
Location: American Red Cross Southeastern Pennsylvania Chapter: 23rd and Chestnut Streets, Philadelphia, PA 19103 School locations to be assigned
To apply, contact:
Claire Morton │ Youth Services Coordinator
(215) 299-4890 (p)
(215) 299-4057 (f) │ email@example.com
Stay Current in Philly's Higher Education and Nonprofit Sector
We compile a weekly email with local events, resources, national conferences, calls for proposals, grant, volunteer and job opportunities in the higher education and nonprofit sectors.