Real World- FlyLab summer program
ATTENTION HIGH SCHOOLERS
Join us for a week of FUN and SCIENCE and become a member of the STEM-Gen! Esperanza College is hosting the hands-on experience: Real World- FlyLab this Summer!
FlyLab is a fun, informative, inquiry-based event that is a great introduction to how experiments are performed in cancer research labs, such as Fox Chase Cancer Center.
In ONE week FlyLab runs from Benchwork Bootcamp to Experimental Analysis ALL performed by the students using techniques and equipment common to researchers the world ‘round.
Students will be introduced to basic genetics, observe the stages of fruit fly development, and work to make connections between diet and health.
• BOY, it’s important to know the girls from the boys. Let’s sort our flies to set up experiments throughout the week!
• How good are YOUR observational skills? Put them to the test examining various fruit fly phenotypes (physical characteristics)!
• Get up CLOSE and personal with fruit flies using Leica brand stereo-microscopes! Take pictures of your experiments to share what you are learning!
• Micropipetting? Mass less than a gram?? Try your steady hand at measuring and moving tiny volumes and mass! These skills are ones ALL researchers need!
• Make your own grape juice plates! Learn the many types of solutions common to lab “recipes” and put them to use in one needed for YOUR experiments!
• Analyze the effects of diet on the fruit fly development by feeding them healthy vs. junk food and compare them to fruit flies eating regular food. Learn to collect data using fertility and mortality protocols!
Program’s Time Commitment:
This is a one-week summer camp that takes place from June 26th to June 30th, 2017 from 9:00 am to 1 pm at Esperanza College 4261 N 5th Street, Philadelphia PA 19140.
- Students finishing 9, 10, 11 or 12th grade are welcome to apply.
- Students MUST commit to participating in all 5 days of the event.
- Student must complete an application form and write a 1-2 page essay;
- Submission of a letter of recommendation.
- Have a parent’s or guardian’s permission to apply.
- Course Fee: A $25.00 refundable registration fee will be collected (cash or check). Money will be returned upon completion of the program.
Applications are due on or before Friday, June 9, 2017. To apply, read through the program description, then fill out and submit this application.
Stay Current in Philly's Higher Education and Nonprofit Sector
We compile a weekly email with local events, resources, national conferences, calls for proposals, grant, volunteer and job opportunities in the higher education and nonprofit sectors.