Pt-time Safety Monitor, Congreso
Posted by on September 02, 2013
Congreso de Latinos Unidos
Position: Safety Monitor (part-time) Department: Out of School Time
Reports to: Site Coordinator Division: Children and Youth
Revised: FLSA Status: Non-exempt
The safety monitor will maintain safety and surveillance of site and visitors. Safety staff is responsible for regulating, monitoring and directing the activities of students outside and within the school building. Safety monitor is also responsible for first aide and emergency liaison for the site coordinator and occasional conflict resolution and student de-escalation if needed. Safety monitor will also provide bi-lingual customer service and parent liaison.
1. Provides bi-lingual customer service to parents, youth and public around program communications, recruitment and information on Congreso.
2. Provides first aide and emergency liaison services if needed.
3. Patrols the school building and surrounding areas before, during and after school program hours to maintain an orderly flow of students entering and exiting the building and resolving any unauthorized activities on school property.
4. Monitors and authorizes visitors, parents and guests into program.
5. Provides communication, information to parents and public about after school program and Congreso during program and during public events at site or off site (for special events).
6. Ensures that all program participants are in their assigned activity area, Time Out area or authorized to be in another location of the school.
7. With the guidance from the OST Director, the Site Coordinators and Group Facilitators are to address program disciplinary cases according to program and agency guidelines.
8. Supervises the sign-in and sign-out of the program on a daily basis.
9. Records and reports any incidents as they occur.
10. Provides conflict resolution for students as needed.
11. Performs other related duties as assigned.
1. Attend relevant workshops or join professional groups as necessary to maintain professional knowledge and licensure.
2. Adheres to the Congreso’s security guidelines and ensures the appropriate handling of sensitive information.
3. Facilitates and attends relevant staff meetings to promote communication and execution of goals.
4. Completes special projects specific to the function of the department or as needed for the department as directed by Supervisor.
5. Other duties as assigned within the scope of position expectations.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities (Career Pathway: Direct Services)
All Staff Competencies
• Basic understanding of Congreso’s mission, vision, values, programs and services, and business plan.
• Knowledge and understanding of the targeted community needs and demographics.
• Understanding of legal criteria for issues such as confidentiality, domestic abuse, child abuse, and mandated reporter requirements.
• Ability to provide nonviolent intervention with a high level of ethical standards of conduct, cultural sensitivity and within appropriate boundaries and limits.
• Ability to effectively use standard office equipment.
• Possesses strong interpersonal skills as demonstrated by compassionate, courteous, cordial, cooperative, and professional interaction with diverse groups of co-workers, external business partners, and the community.
• Ability to operate a computer and use a variety of common software programs including Microsoft Office, spreadsheets, UNIDAD, and customized databases.
• Adheres to all Congreso and departmental policies and procedures.
• Attends all Congreso in-services as required.
• Strong written and verbal communication skills and effectively communicate with individuals and groups.
• Bilingual (Spanish/English)
Direct Services Staff Competencies
• Experience in security, de-escalation, and conflict resolution.
• Knowledge of legal and political issues, and community resources and benefits that impact and/or benefit the targeted client needs.
• Knowledge of Congreso’s services and programs
• Demonstrates understanding and knowledge of the Latino culture and availability of North Philadelphia community resources.
• Ability to effectively interview and engage a client in appropriate programming.
• Ability to exercise conversational English and Spanish.
• Ability to effectively conduct one on one advocacy and/or educational presentations.
• Ability to work in a team structure – demonstrating ability to collaborate and contribute to the team’s work.
Experience, Education, and Licensure
Minimum Experience: 1-2 years of experience working with children and youth in a school setting. First Aid and CPR certification required. Experience with police or security work preferred. Bilingual (English/Spanish) preferred.
Minimum Education: High School diploma.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
1. While performing the duties of this job, the employee will frequently stand; walk; sit; use hands to finger, handle, or feel objects, tools or equipment; reach with hands and arms; balance; talk or hear. The employee will occasionally climb stairs; stoop; kneel; crouch or crawl; taste or smell.
2. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 25 pounds.
3. Operate related office equipment and use necessary tools.
4. Specific vision abilities required by the job include frequent reading and close vision; distance vision; color vision; peripheral vision; depth perception; and the ability to adjust focus.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
1. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
2. Although work is primarily indoors, you will be required to travel outside to client and community locations.
3. Position may require occasional trips to attend conferences seminars, and meetings.
4. Certain visits or work related appointments might be scheduled outside of traditional work hours as necessary.
Nothing in this position description restricts management’s right to assign or reassign duties and responsibilities to this job at any time.
Interested candidates should send resumes to email@example.com. Be sure to mention this specific position in the email.
- Executive Director, Montgomery County Redevelopment Authority
- Director of Administration, City of Philadelphia Law Department
- Executive Director, Catto Scholarship, Community College of Philadelphia
Stay Current in Philly's Higher Education and Nonprofit Sector
We compile a weekly email with local events, resources, national conferences, calls for proposals, grant, volunteer and job opportunities in the higher education and nonprofit sectors.