Program Manager for Adult Ed Services (consultant), Office of Adult Ed
Posted by Office of Adult Education on December 18, 2017
The Office of Adult Education (OAE), formerly the Mayor’s Commission on Literacy and a department within the Office of the Managing Director, operates City-wide to assure that high-quality ABE, ASE and ESL services are accessible to adults seeking to improve their knowledge and skills to enter gainful employment, get a better job, and advance in a career. OAE builds systems for intake of adult learners, maintenance of electronic learning records, professional and organizational development for individual and agency providers, policy advisement, volunteer training, and learner referrals. OAE seeks to raise the quality, quantity and accessibility of literacy and ESL opportunities in Philadelphia and is dedicated to increasing the use of workforce education and technology in instruction for adults. .
The Office of Adult Education (OAE), in collaboration with the Mayor’s Office of Education (MOE) is implementing a program of Adult Education within the 12 Community Schools, currently functioning under the direction of MOE. OAE and MOE are seeking proposals to establish at least (3) separate contracts, with different providers to provide high-quality Adult Basic Education (ABE), Adult Secondary Education (ASE) and English as a Second Language (ESL) courses at each of the 12 City of Philadelphia designated Community Schools. OAE will be coordinating the overall program, but needs an experienced administrator to oversee the program directly. The Community Schools are listed below.
The time frame of the project is expected to run from ASAP through June 30, 2018, unless sooner terminated by the City pursuant to its terms. There is a potential for extension of the program
An independent Contractor is being sought to carry out the objectives of this program and perform the following activities:
– Develop relationships with the Principal/Vice Principal and the Community School Coordinator at each of the 12 community schools
– Establish and implement a transparent process for reviewing and selecting submitted vendor proposals, which includes establishing specific, measurable performance goals.
– Coordinate the implementation of the adult education program within the Community Schools
– Create and implement a process for collecting, analyzing and reporting on performance data
– Track the literacy providers’ progress towards meeting performance goals
– Provide technical assistance and training as necessary on strategies, systems and processes related to the provision of adult education services
– Conduct periodic site visits to monitor classes at all schools to ensure adequate instruction and assess need for additional support and instructional resources
– Use OAE’s Student Information System to facilitate and coordinate the adult education services
– Evaluate each provider at the end of the school year
– Act as liaison between the providers, schools and OAE office and schools
As a member of OAE’s staff, the Program Manager will work closely with staff at OAE, who will oversee the entire program.
Compensation: Not to exceed $30,000
This contract is contingent upon the successful implementation of a concurrent RFP asking Adult Education Service providers to bid on providing Adult Education classes at each of the Community Schools.
The program manager position described in this contract is expected to be approximately full time with flexible hours, which may be required periodically to be available on some evenings and weekends. In the event, the concurrent RFP to Adult Education Service Providers is not successful, or is only partially successful, this contract would be terminated or modified. This will not be known until the RFP review is completed on January 29, 2018. The Program Manager will be paid a prorated rate for all time worked until the date of program cancellation or modification.
Required Credentials and Experience:
We are looking for a Program Manager who is talented at relationship building, program facilitation, and has experience working in the Adult Education Sector, and/or coordinating a variety of community-based programming in school environments. The ideal candidate is local to Philadelphia and can facilitate the implementation of Adult Education into Community Schools, in a responsive, sensitive, and highly organized manner. Candidates must be willing to collaborate closely with multiple entities, including the Office of Adult Education, the Mayor’s Office of Education and the School District of Philadelphia.
A knowledge of Philadelphia and its’ neighborhoods is a plus. The Program Manager should also demonstrate attention to detail, ability to work well in close-knit, team based environments and with multiple staff and stakeholders important to the project.
Master’s Degree Preferred
- Director of Ending Hunger For Good, Philabundance
- Partnership Manager, OIC of America – Nov 6
- City Homeless Office Offers Youth Internship
Stay Current in Philly's Higher Education and Nonprofit Sector
We compile a weekly email with local events, resources, national conferences, calls for proposals, grant, volunteer and job opportunities in the higher education and nonprofit sectors.