Program and Office Associate, Community Learning Center
Posted by Community Learning Center on December 4, 2017
Are you looking for an opportunity to use your interpersonal, analytical, and detail-oriented skills to help low-income adults in Philadelphia access education and employment? Do you want to join an outcome-driven organization with a long track record of success and mission-motivated staff?
Community Learning Center (CLC) is looking for a full-time Program and Office Associate who will report to CLC’s Director of Operations and myPLACE Coordinator and will spend about a third of the time handling administrative responsibilities and two-thirds of the time participating in program operations for CLC’s myPLACE “campus,” a city-funded program that serves as one of the five entry points to classes for Philadelphia adults without high school diplomas who are seeking instruction to earn their high school equivalency diploma (GED or HiSET) or to improve basic skills or to learn English in order to gain employment.
Founded in 1987, CLC is a nonprofit adult literacy organization based in North and West Philadelphia and is one of the top-performing adult education providers in the region. CLC strives to make Philadelphia a city where all adults have the education and employment they need to support themselves and their families. CLC provides free classes, career coaching, and support services that enable low-income adults to earn their high school equivalency diploma, learn English, and gain employment. myPLACE is staffed by the Program and Office Associate, a Coordinator, and a Learning Coach.
As part of the myPLACE team, the Program and Office Associate:
· Receives calls and walk-ins from adults seeking classes
· Schedules adults for an intake and testing session where standardized reading and math assessments are conducted and required information is collected
· Conducts or helps conduct intake and assessment sessions
· Schedules learners for an online computer course, done at myPLACE, that takes 3-12 hours to complete and teaches computer literacy and job readiness skills
· Staffs the online computer classes, offered multiple times each week, and guides learners through the course
· Refers learners to appropriate adult education classes at CLC and throughout the city
· Enters information about each adult into a city-operated database (ASAP)
· Attends professional meetings related to myPLACE
· For adults who are referred by myPLACE to CLC, schedules and confirms attendance at orientation sessions.
· Runs weekly updates on computers
· Enters student information into a database (e-Data)
· Monitors supplies and identifies needs
· Opens and stamps mail
· Makes copies and prepares documents for student orientation
· Co-creates surveys and summarizes results
· Assists with quality assurance by checking student files for required documents and checking that required information has been entered in database (e-Data)
Creates basic spreadsheets in Excel
· Handles other facilities and administrative assignments as needed
· Associates or bachelor’s degree preferred; minimum of high school diploma required provided candidate has several years of applicable experience.
· Experience and/or training or interest in adult education, urban education, workforce development, teaching, coaching, advising, or counseling adults, especially those from low-income communities
· Customer service experience preferred
· Experience entering data in databases and computer navigation skills preferred, particularly Microsoft Office (Word, Excel)
· Extremely detail-oriented and organized
· Demonstrated ability to multi-task
· Initiative and ability to work autonomously some of the time
· Flexibility and patience
· Positive attitude
· Ability to work well with diverse population and challenging people
· Sense of humor a plus!
- PowerCorpsPHL recruiting AmeriCorps members
- Unit Director, Developmental Disabilities, Resources for Human Development
- Center for Black Educator Development – Emerging Leader Fellowship Opportunity – Dec 31
Stay Current in Philly's Higher Education and Nonprofit Sector
We compile a weekly email with local events, resources, national conferences, calls for proposals, grant, volunteer and job opportunities in the higher education and nonprofit sectors.