Pro Bono Case Manager, Philadelphia VIP
JOB DESCRIPTION – Pro Bono Case Manager
Ideal Start Date: Early-to-Mid June 2017
Philadelphia VIP, the hub of pro bono in Philadelphia, recruits, trains, and supports volunteer attorneys who provide free civil legal services to low-income clients.
The ideal candidate is an energetic, goal oriented team player, with excellent skills in communication (oral and written) and relationship-building, demonstrated interest in supporting volunteers, and strong commitment to access to justice for underserved communities. The candidate should be a self-starter, highly attentive to detail, and successful at managing multiple deadlines. The ideal candidate enjoys working with a close-knit team in a fast-paced office and embraces technology, including leading edge case management systems. Bachelor’s Degree required; ability to speak and read a foreign language, including Spanish, Arabic, or Southeast Asian languages a plus (but not required). This position is full time and non-exempt, with generous employee benefits and a great team atmosphere.
This is not a JD position.
Reporting to the Supervising Attorney, the Pro Bono Case Manager will:
Recruit and retain volunteer attorneys in private practice to fulfill VIP’s mission:
• Actively recruit volunteer attorneys and assertively match volunteers with clients, including maintaining volunteer records to identify volunteer prospects for new cases.
• Develop new sources of potential volunteers, while retaining current volunteer relationships.
• Actively strengthen partnerships with key stakeholders, including law firms, and participate in volunteer recognition efforts and events.
• Assist in planning, execution, and follow-up for volunteer clinics, trainings, and other events.
Guide and support clients and volunteer attorneys throughout the life of the case:
• Interview new clients to gather necessary information and documents, and with attorney supervision, assess the legal merit of cases.
• Develop client relationships and provide ongoing case management.
• Facilitate the volunteer-client relationship, and obtain case updates from attorneys.
• With attorney supervision, provide technical assistance to volunteer attorneys in case subjects, procedures, support services, and client interaction.
• Monitor cases for deadlines and emergencies.
Lead and support other efforts to further VIP’s mission and strategic goals:
• Serve as primary administrator for a Legal Team Project, including improving the Project’s structure and processes as necessary.
• Develop and strengthen sources of other “in kind” case support services for volunteers, including interpreters and translators for language access.
• Help to shepherd VIP’s Strategic Plan, including primary responsibility for designated task(s).
• Track metrics to meet goals and improve recruitment, retention, and case referrals.
Deadline: Submissions reviewed on a rolling basis; priority to those received by Wednesday, April 12. 2017.
How to apply: Address cover letter and resume to Pranshu Verma, Director of Operations, and email materials to email@example.com. Include start date, language proficiency if any, and salary requirements.
PHILADELPHIA VIP IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER.
Stay Current in Philly's Higher Education and Nonprofit Sector
We compile a weekly email with local events, resources, national conferences, calls for proposals, grant, volunteer and job opportunities in the higher education and nonprofit sectors.