Policy and Research Intern
Job Title: Policy and Research Intern
Reports to: Policy and Advocacy Manager
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Job Status: Part Time, Temporary, Intern Application
Deadline: January 5, 2018 Term: January through May 2018
Time Commitment: 10 hours per week
About the Sustainable Business Network of Greater Philadelphia
The Sustainable Business Network of Greater Philadelphia (SBN) is a community of local independent businesses that demonstrates the degree to which businesses can build profitable enterprises while serving community needs and protecting the environment. SBN’s mission is to build a just, green, and thriving economy in the Greater Philadelphia region. Since 2001, SBN has been the region’s leading advocacy and membership organization for businesses committed to improving their environmental and social impact as well as their profitability.
SBN offers a variety of programming to our members and the broader local business community throughout the year:
• We connect members with each other, as well as decision makers, to exchange learnings and best practices, bond over commonalities, and share ideas for how policies and processes could better support local businesses to grow and thrive.
• We promote our members within and outside of our network, as well as the strengths of a local economy and triple bottom line practices.
• SBN advocates on members’ behalf throughout the year to ensure that small, locally-owned, and sustainably-minded businesses are fully supported to start, grow, and thrive.
Position Description and Qualifications:
The Sustainable Business Network of Greater Philadelphia (SBN) is seeking a Policy and Research Intern to support Manager of Policy and Advocacy with projects related to the implementation of the Good Economy Challenge (GEC), a 5-point policy campaign that promotes the advancement of a local economy that serves community needs, shares wealth, and protects the environment.
The ideal candidate will be proactive and curious, with an aptitude for research, writing, and editing; have organizational skills as well as have polished communication and interpersonal skills, and be team- oriented while having strong self-management skills. The ideal candidate will also have an interest and/or experience in political and governmental issues at the local and state level.
Primary responsibilities include but are not limited to:
• Research: Provide ongoing research support to department staff, including monitoring legislation and responding to time-sensitive requests for information or analysis for use in publications.
• Communications: Assist in preparing, drafting and editing written materials, including position papers, policy memos, and content for member newsletters as well as identify new ways to share resources.
• Policy Campaign Development: Support department staff in the development of proposals and campaign plans designed to achieve policy objectives.
Skills you will learn/enhance:
• Receive hands-on experience in turning policy ideas into action within a real-world context
• Gain exposure in developing and implementing engagement strategies
• Practice crafting effective policy communications
• Manage multiple projects and meet deadlines
Additional qualifications for this position to what is noted above include:
• Demonstrated commitment to SBN’s values and mission
• Be pursuing an undergraduate or graduate degree in a related field
To apply: Submit a cover letter, resume, and relevant writing sample (no more than 2 pages) to Saleem Chapman, Policy and Advocacy Manager, at email@example.com.
- Research Project Coordinator
- Executive Director, Montgomery County Redevelopment Authority
- Director of Administration, City of Philadelphia Law Department
Stay Current in Philly's Higher Education and Nonprofit Sector
We compile a weekly email with local events, resources, national conferences, calls for proposals, grant, volunteer and job opportunities in the higher education and nonprofit sectors.