City of Philadelphia
Philly Reading Coaches Site Coordinator (Pt-time)
Philly Reading Coaches (PRC) is a new program, based on proven models, that combines early reading support, access to books, and community volunteers to boost reading skills for our city’s children. The program works by pairing trained volunteers with young students – kindergarten through 3rd grade, and by providing fun and child-guided reading experiences that help build reading skills and motivation. Each child in the program also receives 25 free books to take home.
The Site Coordinator (SC) serves as the key on-site liaison for the PRC program. In this role, SC’s will lead a team of committed volunteers focused on improving the literacy levels and love of reading for student in grades K-3. The SC’s will be responsible for managing the volunteers as well as the student-volunteer sessions at their assigned site and ensuring that the program is implemented with fidelity. SC’s will report to the Regional Coordinators (RC).
The duties of the Site Coordinator include:
Reading Session Coordination
- Create a welcoming, organized, and comfortable reading space
- Ensure volunteers understand their role and that both volunteers and students have a meaningful experience by providing ongoing coaching
- Work with site staff and community volunteers to schedule reading pairs between volunteers and students- creating an environment that promotes ongoing mentoring relationships
- Provide oversight during all reading sessions to help children and volunteer readers select books, answer questions, observe and offer reading tips, and ensure safety and security procedures are followed
- Assist with volunteer retention at site helping to ensure every selected child has a volunteer reader
- Manage the site supply of books; noify Regional Coordinators if books are damaged, lost, or if inventory is low
- Ensure adherence to PRC’s Volunteer Code of Conduct, Cancellation Policy, Background Checks, and site specific emergency protocols
- Support execution of special events at sites
- Attend scheduled SC trainings throughout the year
- Contact returning and potential volunteer readers to encourage ongoing participation in the program
- Establish regular and effective communication between site partners and Regional Coordinators, maintaining expectations of Site Partnership Agreement
- Communicate with Regional Coordinators on a weekly basis
- Collect program data (students, volunteers, books) and submit weekly reports to Regional Coordinators using CitySpan, PRC’s database system
- Assist in conducting student evaluations
- SC’s will commit to an average of 5 to 7 hours per week
- SC’s will be expected to attend 10-12 hours of training. SC’s will be paid an hourly rate for their attendance.
- The PRC program runs October 2019- May 2020
- All PRC programs operate during the school year in the hours after school (typically between 3:30PM-5:30PM) and mirror the School District of Philadelphia’s school calendar (including days off and holidays)
Stay Current in Philly's Higher Education and Nonprofit Sector
We compile a weekly email with local events, resources, national conferences, calls for proposals, grant, volunteer and job opportunities in the higher education and nonprofit sectors.