Department of Human Services
Philadelphia Youth Leadership Council Membership Drive
The Philadelphia Youth Leadership Council is now taking candidates for their fall program series. The Philadelphia Youth Leadership Council (PYLC) is a teen focused youth leadership development program that provides Philadelphia youth with an opportunity to have a voice in youth programming and youth initiatives. The PYLC teaches leadership and relationship building skills while exposing them to social, cultural and educational experiences. The PYLC also provides venues for youth to express themselves through public access, social media and public appearances.
Orientation sessions are scheduled for Saturday, August 25, 2018 from 11am – 1 pm and Tuesday, August 25, from 5:00 pm – 8 pm at the Municipal Services Building, 1401 JFK Blvd, Room Innovation Lab, 16th Floor.
Who Should Apply?
Youth in grades 7th through 12 grade who are interested in refining their public speaking, leadership and relationship building skills. while interacting with other positive youth and adult leaders. We are seeking:
· Youth interested in learning how to produce, promote and implement community initiatives
· Youth interested in refining their public speaking skills
· Youth interested writing and producing video public service announcements
· Youth interested in earning community service hours.
· Youth who are enrolled in a Philadelphia Educational Institutions and/or participating in a youth program or initiative
· Youth who are able to attend biweekly (once every two weeks) sessions
The youth learn leadership principles and strategies, relationship building techniques, project management, video production, etiquette and character building. They also participate in cultural and educational excursions.
What do they do?
· Speak at public events about the challenges and solutions to obstacles faced by Philadelphia Youth.
· Host leadership workshops and networking events with elected official, community leadership, media personalities.
· Produce Video presentations including “short films”, public service announcements and motivation videos.
· Organize youth initiatives and projects.
How to apply
The Philadelphia Youth Leadership Council is sponsored by the Department of Human Services, Community Based Prevention Division.
Stay Current in Philly's Higher Education and Nonprofit Sector
We compile a weekly email with local events, resources, national conferences, calls for proposals, grant, volunteer and job opportunities in the higher education and nonprofit sectors.